When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-luming my DeepSea v2

Guest Dr.TuB

i am thinking about doing this.

will The Zigmeister's re-lume be better than the v3's lume?

also, which super luminova does The Zigmeister use for the deepsea? C1 C2 C3 or what (sorry for being a noob)?

how long does super-luminova usually last with a full charge?

and how does one charge the luminova (how long exposure under sunlight)

According to RC Tritec:

• C1 Colour "C1" for white
  • C3 Colour "C3" for yellow
  • C5 Colour "C5" for greenish-yellow
  • C7 Colour "C9" for blue-green

The Zigmeister is doing testing on a new version of the C3 which glows brighter than the normal C3 (in yellow).

The RC Tritec colour swatches are HERE.

The blue lume that glows blue appears white but a different white than the C1. I'm not sure of the number "code" on this one. Some literature I've read says they say 7 hrs of good glow. On my Skyland's basic rep lume...I can still read the time in a dark room 8hrs+ later.

The blue lume appears to need some "priming" in daylight to glow better. Check Lanikai's Deep Sea review for details on this.

I'm having The Zigmeister do some inaccurate lume work for me by doing my Cousteau Diver in blue lume instead of the green glow. I'll get that back in a few weeks.

what does priming mean?

how do i fully charge my rep lume?

also can someone tell me if its a good idea to re-lume the v2 deepsea?

i find the dial better on the v2 since its got the beveled date window.

According to RC Tritec:

• C1 Colour "C1" for white
  • C3 Colour "C3" for yellow
  • C5 Colour "C5" for greenish-yellow
  • C7 Colour "C9" for blue-green

The Zigmeister is doing testing on a new version of the C3 which glows brighter than the normal C3 (in yellow).

The RC Tritec colour swatches are HERE.

The blue lume that glows blue appears white but a different white than the C1. I'm not sure of the number "code" on this one. Some literature I've read says they say 7 hrs of good glow. On my Skyland's basic rep lume...I can still read the time in a dark room 8hrs+ later.

The blue lume appears to need some "priming" in daylight to glow better. Check Lanikai's Deep Sea review for details on this.

I'm having The Zigmeister do some inaccurate lume work for me by doing my Cousteau Diver in blue lume instead of the green glow. I'll get that back in a few weeks.

I received an email from RC Tritec with this info:

"Many thanks for your e-mail. We have developped a new white colour: BG W9 which is much brighter than GL C1. The emission is blue-green, the colour is whitish but not quite as white as GL C1. Regarding luminosity, please check the attached data sheet. The price for BG W9 is the same as GL C1."

Maybe Rolex uses BG W9 for the DS?

what does priming mean?

how do i fully charge my rep lume?

I was getting my SLs mixed up. As The Zigmeister explained, the BGW9 that Ptolomeo was talking about above is the new blue lume, and is supposed to be the second brightest lume on the market next to C3...but as indicated above, the C3 is yellow. As I understand it, The Zigmeister uses a mix of C1 and C3 to create his aged Tritium look.

If you read The Zigmeister's post from dluddy, you'll see that he doesn't see the initial brightness of the BGW9 to be as intense as the C3 which is contrary to the datasheets.

HOWEVER, if you read the thread of responses to Lani's Deep Sea review HERE which is the 3rd page of comments, you'll see that people seem to find the lume doesn't really start to glow until after a couple hours of daylight charging. This is likely not required each and every time, but just to get it going after shipping. Lani says regarding off-colour (i.e. greenish rather than blue) lume in his opinion may be a result of needing "...a day or so before the lume is fully charged.. so don't worry".

Will The Zigmeister's lume be better than out of the box? Almost definitely...as lume is expensive...more than gold by the ounce. So...rep manufacturers will skimp on this wherever possible. The Zigmeister's lume jobs are the standard market rate in terms of price but he uses the best lume on the market, and his results on this forum speak to his experience, skill and hours of practice.