When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gonna build a Rolex Daytona-- a few Q's for the professionals

omegaguy

Alright guys, i've been looking around the forums, and I think i'm on the verge of starting a Dayton project. Just had a few questions:

1- There are two types of cases, a thick one, and the proper thin one. When searching on trustytime's website, some of his daytons are 14mm thick and some are 12.5mm thick. i'm assuming the 12.5 mm is the correct one, but needs adjustments on the crown guards. can anyone confirm this?

2- The caseback is supposed to be flat, anyone know where I can source this? the reps come with the wrong casebacks

3- The bezel should be flatter---anyone know where I can source this? Also, is there a clarks crystal available for this watch? I can't stand looking at those engraved crowns in the crystal. That and the clarks is just amazing.

4- The white faced dial on the thinner cased daytona apparently is not as good as the white face on the thicker cased one. What are the differences? Is there a way to source the better dial without having to buy the second watch?

5- Any other inconsistencies from Gen I should be looking at? Are the chrono pushers similar or completely different? looks the same in comparable pics.

6- After all's said and done, i'm gonna get some The Zigmeister lume on it. Am I missing anything?

I have a WM9 YachtMaster on order, gonna be getting the WM9 V2 sub right away as well (and getting rid of my euromariner), have a GMTII CHS on the way and want a Daytona to complete the collection. I know the secs at 6 is not a very reliable movement, but i'm willing to take that risk. I have a local watchsmith that's able to work on these watches.

Please help me out guys.

I did--but it doesn't say anything about the actual thickness of the case. Ive bought from Andrew before, so i'm comfortable using him, but if someone could measure their THINNER case, that'd be great.

Also, doesn't say what's actually different between the two dials. (just want to know if it's worth paying the extra to get the second watch)

also, were u able to source the bezel and caseback?

hello to all daytona fans. Have you seen the Cartel's NEW Daytona (Pro Hunter) - personally i dont like the black daytona - BUT it mentions ....

MOVEMENT: New Asia 7750 Valjoux (28,800bph) - Updated Decorated Rotor, New Improved 29J Version

So a new (problem free) movement of asian valjoux 7750 with 29jewels ????

I think it is very very difficult to create an acceptable 116520 rep. The movement is a lot thicker than gen 4130 so there is no magic - either the case is too thick, bezel too high, rehaut too deep, caseback not flat enough, crown in wrong position.... and on top of that you get an unreliable movement.

Seeing the amount of watches that you have ordered or have on the way - maybe it would be better to reduce the amount and go the quality route - build a zenith el primero powered 16520 Daytona Franken?

i agree 1000% with Sql-pl for the building of a Franken Daytona. Im interested to this one also BUT iys too difficult to built this Franken Daytona by myself due to the fact that i dont have Horology knowledge. Is anyone (from europe) would sell one i would buy it...

i agree 1000% with Sql-pl for the building of a Franken Daytona. Im interested to this one also BUT iys too difficult to built this Franken Daytona by myself due to the fact that i dont have Horology knowledge. Is anyone (from europe) would sell one i would buy it...

I would also be interested to know if anyone in Europe could either build or supply such a franken

Guest Sql_pl

"Supply"....

... guys it is all about finding correct parts, collecting them over time and then having it all assembled. That's the joy and fun of a frankenwatch.

In the end you do not really end up cheap so if you only wish to posess and do not want to go through all the hassle - add like 1.5-2k usd and go for gen two-tone :)

I would also be interested to know if anyone in Europe could either build or supply such a franken

My dad used to have this homebrewing book in which the author repeatedly advised: "Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew." Such is the case with frankenwatches. Their superior coolness of frankens relative to both reps and gens is derived purely from 2 facts. Frankenfacts, if you will: that few can build them and nobody can "supply" them. That, and the other fact which is that the really good ones take a long, long time to build. The time it takes to build a franken can be expressed in the following equation:

t1+(t2v) + s(r+d)/($+a2+l3)+[(Os+Of)/w]+t3= :inverted:

where:

t1=Time spent learning about the gen

t2=Time spent learning about the different versions of the reps and how they correspond (or not) to the gen

v=the number of versions of reps

s=time spent searching for parts

n=number of gen parts needed

r=rarity of gen parts

d=dudes looking for the same part

$=$ in the bank

a=shameless asskissing of those known to have access to parts

l=dumb luck

Os=Oh [censored]! This part doesn't look like it's going to fit!

Of=Oh [censored]! This part doesn't fit!

W=access to a skilled, rep friendly watchsmith

t3=the time it takes to post pics of your new franken on RWG

Good luck and happy hunting!!

looks like i'm gonna scrap the project for now.

You're right. sourcing the right parts would be next to impossible, plus if it's not accurate, what's the point.

I always see the two tone daytonas much cheaper than the SS daytonas too. are the SS ones really THAT rare?

No, they are not, they come up for sale everyday on Ebay, timezone, VRF, etc. Its just that stainless steel versions of Daytona (and most other popular sports model watches) are preferred by collectors. That, and the fact that when buying (or trying to buy) a new stainless Daytona, one usually gets hit by the "sorry, but you will have to get on the 3 year waiting list for a stainless model, but you can have the two tone [which costs more] model on your wrist today, yadda yadda" bait and switch speech. These two factors of public demand and Rolex supplying stainless models with an eyedropper worldwide tend to drive the prices up to stupid levels.