When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian automatic 21j movement stops sporadically...

hackR

I purchased a VC 1755 Jubile from watcheden...This watch has an "asian automatic 21j" movement...As I am not an expert, I don't know exactly what this movement is called...The watch has two subdials: 1) Day @ 9 o'clock, 2) Date @ 3 o'clock...it has a running sweeping full second hand...it also has a working power reserve @ 6 o'clock...I have had it about 2 weeks, but it is problematic...I am not sure if it was from old stock and is "dry" or something...the problem is that the watch sporadically stops...Sometimes it stops when i am wearing it...sometimes it stops when it is laying down...the power reserve appears to work as i watched it move to full when i was wearing it...When it runs it appears to run fine -- keeping time and not losing it...when it stops, a simple tap or a shake sometimes restarts it...other times, i have to pull the crown out and then push it back in...when the power reserve is full, though, and i lay it down at night, it stops within 4 hours (which i know is not right)...obviously, it stops when i wear it sometimes, so i didn't expect it to not stop when i lay it down...it also has had a couple wearings when it may have stopped or slowed down as i have noticed it losing time - which could be because it stopped and re-started or it simply slowed...i'm thinking it may have stopped and re-started and didn't slow on it's own...for example, i reset the watch about 3 hours ago and it's running fine and not losing time...it is laying down and not on my wrist...

all in all, it's a gorgeous watch and i want it to work...watcheden will take it back, but wants to charge me for return shipping costs ($30 argh!)...i called a local watchsmith and he said he could service it for $75usd...i am worried that sending it back, my result in getting another one with a similar problem...

any advice on what to do, why this may be happening, or whatever is helpful...

thanks...R

we_VC_Jubile_a21j_face.bmp

we_VC_Jubile_a21j_back.bmp