When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered first rep - now what: preventative measures / spares?

jleef

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first today - starting with the classic Bond SMP and we'll see where things go from there. Love the Orange PO so that might be next on the list, followed by something a little more dressy, we'll see!

So my question is...what else would you recommend one have along with their growing rep collection? This is mostly with regards to spare parts, tools etc. I hear a lot of stories on here about Omega bezels falling off, should I order a spare or two? I also hear about people putting clear nail polish on the bracelet screws etc...are there any other "preventative" measures and spares such as / as well as these I would be advised to look into?

I'm buying my watch from a highly-recommended member here, and I trust there being no QC problems - will also post pics when it arrives if people aren't already convinced the SMP content on here isn't sufficient already :p however, I always like to do what I can to get peace of mind, so if people here advise strongly enough on certain spares and new-watch procedures that should be undertaken I'm keen to learn more.

Thanks for any info!

-J

Congrats on the purchase. There's not really much you have to do with a non-Chrono movement. Is it an ETA or Chinese movement? If ETA...the rule is generally that they are worth servicing as parts are readily available, and an ETA non-chrono movement is readily serviced by most watchmakers worth their salt. Servicing should be done every 5 years or so. There are tales of people going longer...much longer...but The Zigmeister likens it to a car running without an oil change. Sure it will run for more than 5,000 km or whatever the dealer recommended distance is...but go 20,000km and the car will still likely run...but when it needs fixing...it's going to NEED FIXING with lots of parts and labour involved.

If an Asian movement...run it into the ground...order a spare DG4813 if it's a DG2813 in there now...and have it ready for a quick swap should you need to when it dies. Inserts don't fall out all that often...deal with it when the time comes...if ever.