When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

P2i Plasma waterproof coatings - work on a watch?

robsa

Hi all

I don't know how many of you have seen the P2i Plasma Coating technology which is just appearing (http://www.p2i-labs.co.uk/index.html) but it puts an incredibly thin layer on the item which is impervious to oils and liquids. It can penetrate materials on a sub-microscopic level as it is a plasma.

They can put it on anything - a normal shirt for instance. It will then be totally water resistant and it is permanent! It is impervious to rubbing, folding and bending!

I was wondering whether you could do this with a watch or would it not work because of the need for the oils to coat the mechanism? Imagine just being able to put your watch in a cabinet, press a button and a few minutes later Hey Presto! Totally waterproof watch!

What do you think?

Robsa

Don't think it would work on a watch beacuse of joints and voids (crown seal, pushers ect) but what great tech! I can certainly think of a hell of a lot of other uses for it.

Having said that it would be great to water proof leather straps! Page bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for the link.

Regards, Col.

EDIT:If you can't get the site take the "index.HTML" off the URL and it works folks.

Edited by trailboss

Don't think it would work on a watch beacuse of joints and voids (crown seal, pushers ect) but what great tech! I can certainly think of a hell of a lot of other uses for it.

I wonder if it would act like graphite as a lube? If you completely cleaned the movement then zapped it? I wonder how much it is? Would be well worth doing it to a cheap automatic movement if the price was right... imagine if it worked! An automatic movement that doesn't need cleaning and re-lubing!