When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking on Opinions of a PAM00036 Rep

Raikiri

Hey, just wondering if anyone owns one of these and can comment on accuracy/build quality. I'm not after something that's 100% faithful to the original but would like something that's at least made well.

http://www.jpc8118.com/pn17705-series-tita...497-p-4580.html

Edit: Title should be 'Looking for Opinions on a PAM00036 Rep' - Oops.

Edited by Raikiri

You do know that is a rep of a 177 sandwich dial historic and the dial is black. On the 036 the general feeling is that the original Josh 036 from 3-4 years ago is the best. You should be aware of the whole t versus l issues. The best reps have an L dial and there were all of five made of the gen. The funny thing is that two of them are owned by forum member. The vast majority were t dials. davidsen makes a t dial but I am told (haven't seen it) that it is the wrong shade of brown.

You do know that is a rep of a 177 sandwich dial historic and the dial is black. On the 036 the general feeling is that the original Josh 036 from 3-4 years ago is the best. You should be aware of the whole t versus l issues. The best reps have an L dial and there were all of five made of the gen. The funny thing is that two of them are owned by forum member. The vast majority were t dials. davidsen makes a t dial but I am told (haven't seen it) that it is the wrong shade of brown.

Hey, cheers for the info. Seems I also posted the wrong link. Not having a good day am I :p Here's the correct one: http://www.jpc8118.com/pn03602-titanium-to...497-p-5503.html

I 'm really looking to stick to a budget of around $200/

Edited by Raikiri

I agree with peepshow about the flaws, but in the end I am not so critic on this rep. Considering that the original 036 rep is long time sold out now, and considering the limited price of this rep, it might work as a decent starting point if you really love the 036 and if you are inclined to mods.

The crown looks odd because it has fewer teeth than the gen -- and than any other crowns I saw, for that matter.

You should replace it with a T crown.

The movement is E-style that is incorrect. But correct pre-E rep 6497 movements are relatively easy to find (especially on low-cost 127 and 111 reps) and they are quite accurate, as those movements had no swan neck or special bridges.

My eyes are not so eagle-eyes to tell about the CG.

All in all, the only unfixable flaw I see in this rep is the "L SWISS L" text.

As kruzer pointed out, you may always pretend you are the owner of one of the five "L SWISS L" 036 ever made. :D