When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch stuck in customs!

Lifting

My first order and it is stuck at the post office waiting for an receipt so I can pay customs duty. As there was nothing on the packaging, they opened it, and now want me to provide some evidence of how much I paid so I can pay the duty to the PO. Do I get the receipt for 150 dollars and send them that, expecting them to probably put 2 and 2 together and come back to me with more questions, or do I cut my losses and give it up as lost? Any one dealt with this before and have any good suggestions? I think I will order from the EU in future though.

Which dealer did you order from? Go to the dealer's website and read their shipping/custom policy & contact the seller for resolution.

Fyi, most dealers will send you another one if watch is stuck with custom. Sorry to hear for your 1st watch order experience.

Good luck!

I bought from Timesshops (watchmark), as all the feedback was good. I think he wrote "gift" on the package, but no value or description so they opened it. The Post Office sent me a nice letter asking for more details and a value, as the info they received was not sufficient, ie some in chinese, and the word "gift" which in Danish means married, so no surprise at the confusion!

Not declaring any value on the package is just inviting trouble. Customs worldwide will open such packages to assess the value of the item because in most countries....you have to pay duty above a certain value.

Dealer's fault....take it up with him....am sure he will send you another one ....or tell you a way out of this. Don't loose heart....hoodwinking customs is a part of our hobby :p

Cheers

Not declaring any value on the package is just inviting trouble. Customs worldwide will open such packages to assess the value of the item because in most countries....you have to pay duty above a certain value.

Dealer's fault....take it up with him....am sure he will send you another one ....or tell you a way out of this. Don't loose heart....hoodwinking customs is a part of our hobby :p

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. I guess sending customs a receipt is definitely a bad idea in this case, and I should let this watch go, and hope mark can sort it out.

Thanks for the replies. I guess sending customs a receipt is definitely a bad idea in this case, and I should let this watch go, and hope mark can sort it out.

Mark from Timeshop is a decent guy. I just ordered 3 watches from him in recent days without a problem. But again, I'm in U.S so custom won't be as tough as Demark. Just send him an email and let him know that your watch got stuck with custom and you need another one.