When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP black with 22 mm rubber strap

fitipaldi2

Hi, after following Jimster suggestions, I decided to go with the SMP chrono black dial with PO 22mm rubber strap.

After fighting 40 min putting the strap, here are the results:

post-8485-1232561302_thumb.jpg

post-8485-1232561315_thumb.jpg

post-8485-1232561330_thumb.jpg

The second issue was the gap between the strap and the case. It was impossible for me to reach the deep holes in the case when I was putting the rubber strap. Then I found another solution: I used this cable and I glued it to the strap.

post-8485-1232561371_thumb.jpg

post-8485-1232561343_thumb.jpg

post-8485-1232561355_thumb.jpg

The gap was minimized and almost disappeared:

post-8485-1232561967_thumb.jpg

post-8485-1232561984_thumb.jpg

Now I just ordered a new date wheel and the watch will be almost perfect (stupid logo) within some days.

Thanks Jimster for your help!

P.D: If someone knows how to reach (which tool do you need) the deepest holes in the case, please let me know.

Alejandro

Edited by fitipaldi2

Alejandro,

The inner holes can be reached. The band needs to be warm and you can firmly push one side in and then the other pin.

I just took one side on mine out and it took me 15 minutes to get it back in place.

I'll be doing it again as I'm putting together all the parts for a Swiss 7750 conversion with all gen hands, date wheel, crown and tube. I'm just waiting for the hands and date wheel.

After pricing the dial and comparing the rep vs gen the rep dial is fine.

Here's a couple shots of the watch with the rubber strap on the close holes. Please excuse the dust.

Jim

post-216-1232647508_thumb.jpg

post-216-1232647572_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit confuzzled why folks would want to cram a Planet Ocean strap in to a SMP case, when the Seamaster strap fits perfectly :huh:

Oh well, it still looks good :):good:

TeeJay,

I'd rather spend the money on other gen parts than buy a gen 20mm rubber strap. Do you by any chance have a rep 20mm that fits tight?

Jim

TeeJay,

I'd rather spend the money on other gen parts than buy a gen 20mm rubber strap. Do you by any chance have a rep 20mm that fits tight?

Jim

Jim, let me begin by apologising for not responding to your message earlier...

Do you mean a 20mm strap for a regular Seamaster, or a 20mm strap for a Planet Ocean?

If you mean for a Planet Ocean, there is not a rep strap made for the Planet Ocean in 20mm, so the options are either fitting a 20mm SMP strap (as is mostly factory installed) or try force-fitting a 22mm rep strap.

If you mean for a regular Seamaster, then a 20mm strap is available from here, as well as many other dealers :)

Do you mean a 20mm strap for a regular Seamaster, or a 20mm strap for a Planet Ocean?

If you mean for a Planet Ocean, there is not a rep strap made for the Planet Ocean in 20mm, so the options are either fitting a 20mm SMP strap (as is mostly factory installed) or try force-fitting a 22mm rep strap.

If you mean for a regular Seamaster, then a 20mm strap is available from here, as well as many other dealers :)

how hard is it to fit the SMP 20mm to a 42mm PO? I don't care about the writing on the inner side.

how hard is it to fit the SMP 20mm to a 42mm PO? I don't care about the writing on the inner side.

It can depend on the actual watch head. With the rep 20mm SMP strap, there is a peg on the inside of the curved surface (where the strap would press against the case) In some instances, some of the Planet Ocean reps are made with a 'hole' in between the lugs, which this peg can locate into. Also, some Planet Ocean reps are made with two sets of springbar holes in the lugs. One set for the springbar with the bracelet, and a second set of holes, closer to the case, and slightly higher, which allow the SMP bracelet to make a snug fit with the Planet Ocean case. What needs to be remembered, is that regardless of the watches being reps, the SMP and Planet Ocean, despite both having a 20mm lug width, also have slightly differently shaped lugs.

To be honest, I've only ever had a 20mm SMP strap with my Planet Oceans, and never really been unhappy with the fit at the case end, however, having seen how good the 22mm strap looks, even with the 20mm lug width, I'm considering getting one when I have the spare cash :)

And now I'm slow in answering - from your answers I will force fit a 22mm rep strap. I had the chance to compare a gen 22mm rubber strap with my rep 22mm strap and really can't see the difference.

I assume all the rep 22mm rubber straps are the same, right? I can't get your link to load. watcheden

Thanks,

Jim