When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel literally falls off face on SMP!

jleef

So I was stupidly messing around with my SMP and managed to ping the bezel off. No problem, I though, nothing seemed damaged, it just clips back in again. So I wrapped the metal click spring around the bezel and clipped it back in. Trouble is that now I can literally pop the whole bezel off just by running my little finger under the edge of it. Not good!

Am I resigned to having to glue the whole bezel in place now to stop it falling off? I'm wondering how it stayed on there in the first place since I didn't seem to damage anything...

OK, I have to presume there's nothing I can do here since there's definitely no problem with me installing it properly. I don't know why it doesn't snap into place with any reassuring grip but have to assume it's either a poorly-made bezel or poorly made watch face. Think I'm either going to have to try a new bezel or just glue the current one in place and replace functionality for sturdiness! :(

This rep is known for being well constructed. It seems you either received one that was manufactured with inferior quality parts, or something happened during your ownership of it which is causing the bezel to fall out of place. Before you decide to permanently glue it in place, take it to a watchsmith and explain to him the problem and ask if it can be fixed.

If it can I would get it fixed, if not; then you have 4 option:

1)Glue it in place

2)Purchase a gen bezel which comes with the insert (expensive option but then you have a nice franken :)) however you will need to be sure the bezel will fit

3)If the dealer agrees, send it back to him for repair or a new watch

4)Purchase a new rep watch head (this will probably be the more realistic option when approaching the dealer)

This rep is known for being well constructed. It seems you either received one that was manufactured with inferior quality parts, or something happened during your ownership of it which is causing the bezel to fall out of place. Before you decide to permanently glue it in place, take it to a watchsmith and explain to him the problem and ask if it can be fixed.

If it can I would get it fixed, if not; then you have 4 option:

1)Glue it in place

2)Purchase a gen bezel which comes with the insert (expensive option but then you have a nice franken :)) however you will need to be sure the bezel will fit

3)If the dealer agrees, send it back to him for repair or a new watch

4)Purchase a new rep watch head (this will probably be the more realistic option when approaching the dealer)

Have emailed seller to see what they can do. Hopefully can get it sorted, and hopefully won't have any more 'teething' troubles with this watch and reps in general!

Thanks for all the answers and help by the way DemonSlayer, you seem to crop up on most of the random questions I've had recently :)

Have emailed seller to see what they can do. Hopefully can get it sorted, and hopefully won't have any more 'teething' troubles with this watch and reps in general!

Thanks for all the answers and help by the way DemonSlayer, you seem to crop up on most of the random questions I've had recently :)

Thanks man! I'm more than happy to help members out, I've had issues with my watches in the past, and issues still pop up time from time. I've been more than happy with the help I've received on this board from various members so I feel I should do my part to help others out too :)

Best of luck with getting that SMP sorted out, its a very nice watch.

Is it not possible to bend the spring a bit more to provide a tighter fit??

Tried that, sadly does nothing - it's not the tightness upon rotation that's the problem, and bending the spring only seems to help with that sort. It's the tightness with which the bezel actually clips onto, and stays on, the watch face with. Especially when I read other posts here about users having to strongly pry the bezel off with butter knives and suchlike - when mine pops off now as easy as a Krispy Kreme coffee lid!

(I discovered that when sat in the back of a car recently and the lid popped off, spilling the hot steamy beverage all over my crotch. Wasn't amused. Off topic anyway! :p )