When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone heard of the Panerai Luminor Chrono?

Viennawatch

I recently made a short stop to Dubai to visit my good old folks and checked out this new Dubai Mall....

I`m stunned at the size of the place, never thought malls could get that big and just to think of all the stores they have managed to fit in there.

The good thing is that they have a nice section on the ground floor just for watches and they have a Officine Panerai store there as well... I was SOOOOOO happy when I saw that place! The salesman told me there was a 10 to 15% discount on selected models, funny enough, I didn't even ask for the prices on any of the watches.. Just went in to look around as I couldn't afford anything right now...

Anyways point is... I'm gonna start saving. :)

I saw a real beauty... It was a Panerai Luminor Chrono, so said the wording on the dial, but it wasn't a daylight. It had the similar case of the regatta or 1950 flyback chrono, but seemed to have been just an ordinary chrono. Sadly with out a date, but it looked remarkably beautiful.

But Im really curious to know more about this one model I spotted.. I've tried looking around without any luck..

Any ideas?

Regards,

VW

It might help with a couple of extra details. ;) Two or three sub-dials? Plain or textured dial? 40 or 44mm? 310 is 40mm and is deceiving as the crown is much better proportionately versus standard 40mm luminors. If it is two-subdials 44mm there are a number of possibilities beyond the 212 and 213 (extra button for flyback). If it was 2 subdials with a pair of blue hands it might be the 308. It could be 286 or 253 if it had 1 or 2 blue hands and extra button on left side of the case. I would start with Panerai's website though since the mini-fiddy cases are relatively new so most watches are still made or at least replaced with a later version. Best of luck. Oh yeah, next time take a picture. :lol:

It might help with a couple of extra details. ;) Two or three sub-dials? Plain or textured dial? 40 or 44mm? 310 is 40mm and is deceiving as the crown is much better proportionately versus standard 40mm luminors. If it is two-subdials 44mm there are a number of possibilities beyond the 212 and 213 (extra button for flyback). If it was 2 subdials with a pair of blue hands it might be the 308. It could be 286 or 253 if it had 1 or 2 blue hands and extra button on left side of the case. I would start with Panerai's website though since the mini-fiddy cases are relatively new so most watches are still made or at least replaced with a later version. Best of luck. Oh yeah, next time take a picture. :lol:

hahaha Silly me... actually I thought you RWG long timers have become such experts that you could name them on the spot!

Yes picture would help...I will be back in Dubai in a week or so, I will try getting one then... Just to start you out... it had the 1950 flyback case with the diagonally extruding chrono pushers, two subdials, no date... In fact it looks EXACTLY like the 1950s flyback without the 1950s and flyback stamped on the dial. It MAY be a tad bit smaller, case wise.. I dont have an eye for measurement... I would actually need a ruler.. lol.. No blue hands and no extra button on the left side. I have checked the website Panerai website, no luck...

Trust me... I did my reading and my research... that is why I come to ask, i do realize its a touch one...

Regards,

VW

Maybe you saw an old-timer....the PAM162.

"The PAM 162 was the first 44mm chronograph, but was relatively short-lived, only lasting a year, being supplanted by the white and black dial Slytech chronographs instead. The two Slytechs were originally promoted as having "panda" dials

, a la Newman Daytona

, however just before shipping this decision was vetoed, and they ended up as plain black or plain white. Perhaps the panda configuration is being saved for future special edition?"

pam1621ox0.png

Its definitely not the one in the pic... Like I said, its only got two sub dials, no date and it has diagonally extruding chrono pushers.. the pushers are round... plus that one looks almost exactly like the daylight without the daylight writing on it...

Thanks for the try! Just bear with me a week or so.. then I will try to take a picture!