When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No power. Busted escape wheel? Need your help

breukelen

While disassembling an Asian 6497 movement, I *accidently* removed the small top plate whose jewel holds the escape wheel in place. In doing so, the mainspring became completely unsprung. As you can imagine, the hour and minute hands go spinning like crazy... and the 10 or so hours left of power reserve is all gone. Luckily the hands didn't scrape the dial.

Now the problem is that the escape wheel seems doesn't seem to be properly seated. The wheel isn't quite engaging the pallet lever or the fourth wheel very well, it's either one or the other. When I wind the crown, it keeps winding and winding and there is no tension build-up to indicate the mainspring is being powered up. Then I noticed that the cause might be due to the escape wheel's top stem which doesn't appear to be seated very well into the jewel of the top plate. So I disassemble, align the plate/jewel, reassemble, and repeat that... no luck. I then stick a tiny screwdriver in there to wiggle the escape wheel and there is a tiny bit of play on its axis. Is the escape wheel suppose to sit this way or has something broken off on the stem, like a pivot of some sort?

I don't have any photos of what it looks like, but if anybody has a pic or full top to bottom diagram of what the escape wheel for the Asian 6497 movement looks like, can you post it?

Thanks in advance.

I have been playing with these quite a bit recently and the escape wheel pinions are always a pain in the arse to get seated and if it is not seated then any power in the main spring will run out like water in a bucket with big hole in it. Revisit and have a good look and see if it is seated properly.

A good tip for the future it to remove the power from the main spring before you do any thing to a watch movement