When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Scam Email From China?

dosanim

Everyone is familiar with typocal scam email from Nigeria, Africa that your kin is perished, so we are contactcting you...

I got something different this time. It is, BTW, from China in disgiuse of business opportunity. Hmmm.

Since it is from China and city is non other than home of replica, I'm kinda curious to know aif they are getting email address from RWG1 or 2 etc.?

What do you think? Following is content of email.

Dear Sir/Madam.

Iam Mr Kob Wang,

I represent CHINA NEWSTAR STONE INDUSTRIAL COMPANY LIMITED based in CHINA. My company Supply Kitchen and bathroom products such as stainless steel and ceramic series products and other products for world trade.We are searching for representatives who can help us establish a medium of getting to our customers in Europe and America as well as making payments through you as our payment officer. It is upon this note that we seek your assistance to stand as our representative in your country.

Note that, as our representative, you will receive 10% of whatever amount you clear for the company and the balance will be paid into an account we will avail to you. Please, to facilitate the conclusion of this transaction if accepted, do send me promptly by email: kobwang2@mail.com

the following:

(1)Your full names,

(2)Contact address and,Phone/fax numbers.

(3)Your possition in office,

Thank you for your time

Very Respectfully,

Mr. Kob Wang

MANAGING DIRECTOR/CEO

CHINA NEWSTAR STONE COMPANY.Address;

#902 Yi Du Building, Fengze Street,Quanzhou,Fujian, China

Telephone Number; 86-595-22285926

Fax Number 86-595-22285926

It's trying to look legit.

Edited by dosanim

Even if it was a scam it seems quite harmless. Reply by asking him if he can find some good reps for you. :lol:

This is not a scam - you are not being asked to hand over any money or give credit card details etc. It's a simple mailshot sent out to thousands of people whose email addresses can be purchased for a few bucks on a CD from database companies. Just delete it if you are not wanting to be a Kitchen sales rep!!!

Not harmless... you are being asked to clear funds through your bank account. So, once you start corresponding, they will naturaly need your bank details. You will have already written to them, at their request, on your headed paper... a letter which, of course, you signed.

So they have your letterhead, your bank details and your signiture.

Just think of the fun they can have with that.

Not harmless... you are being asked to clear funds through your bank account. So, once you start corresponding, they will naturaly need your bank details. You will have already written to them, at their request, on your headed paper... a letter which, of course, you signed.

They also require an advance fee to open the account or similar.

Some of these scams will say "A package will be sent to you, please resend it" and you just committed mail fraud as you send the item bought with a stolen card to China.

With all these mails, unless you are exceedingly patient and want to have fun at the expense of a 419er, the best thing to do is delete the mail and forget about it.

Wow, good info here. :blink:

A couple of comments - I am not disputing the other observations, rather adding to it.

First, many of these are looking for exactly what they say - a straight relationship with someone who they can clear incoming funds thru. People think PayPal means honesty because there is no way to use one anonymously (well, there is, but I'm not trying to teach this here).

As an example, suppose I'm selling steroids and I don't want to set up a PayPal account, or cannot get one, why not use someone else's and pay them a percent, thereby insulating myself from the consequences of a PayPal subpoena? When Patsy gets my money, I just have them send 90% of it to me via more secure method.

Second, many people want to wash their stolen money thru your acount. My devious little minions steal credit card numbers, or run a bust out scam with real ones, sending me their money thru your account. Again, when Patsy gets my money, I just have them send 90% of it to me via more secure method.

Then there's the ACH version, where Patsy, whose been a really good Patsy can move up to bigger money because Patsy is so trustworthy. Since I know that Patsy will send me my 90%, I use her as my Patsy Collector. I have a dozen other Patsies PayPal my 90% to Patsy, and then have Patsy send me my 90% of that (thereby netting 81% for me) by secure method.

Not revealing any clever secrets here - this is all amateur hour.

I had one case out of Ohio that was funny. Bad man responds to 5,000 Widget advertisement, "Mr. Dumbo, I am the purchasing agent for Sheik Abba Dabba Da Arab, and I am going to buy your widget. I have an unlimited discretionary account and no oversight, so I am going to send you 20,000 = you keep twice your asking price, and refund $10,000 to me. No funny stuff, I send certified check, you remit only after check clears."

Check arrives, Dumbo deposits, and the check clears - no problem. Dumbo decides, "Screw the Arab, he's a thief anyway," and goes on a spending spree.

Eventually, check comes back - a very, very first rate forgery - and guess what, poor Dumbo cannot account for the missing Arab, and it's clear that he's in this on his own because he spent every dime on himself. It gets better.

Keep in mind that Dumbo does not really understand what has happened - he cannot figure it out.

Dumbo has no money, but his public defender finds me. Conference call with Dumbo and PD, Dumbo explains facts, I explain scam, PD wants me to come to Ohio and explain my experience with these things, and bring my collection of such checks. Retainer and Fee Agreement agreed upon.

Dumbo never follows thru . . . Dumbo's too clever to pay me my fee, now that he understands what happened - why does he need me now that he can explain it himself.

Expert witnesses don't get paid for what they say - the fee is based on who they are, the credentils they have. The jury was not impressed by a thief who tried to steal from one guy, and inadvertently stole from the other.

Bummer Dude.

One final word to the wise - watch out for wire transfers. CHECK TO BE SURE THEY WERE WIRED.

If we have anyone from Mesa AZ who saw the news broadcast last year about the old couple who were almost the victims of the "FedEx'd Wire Transfer," that was my case and we got their money back. If you expect a wire transfer, and I FedEx a Bogus Cashiers Check to your bank, credit to your account, unless you check, or they call, all you know is the funds arrived as promised.

Next thing you know, you get a charge back for a fraudulent check you never even knew about.

Be careful boys and girls - bad people out there.

Bill

Thanks! Bill. I appreciate your insight regarding this type of scam. Usually, when I get this type of email, I reply back saying try something better next time. I didn't feel like it this time so I just clicked on spam filter. However, you can't be never deligent enough about this type of scam. :yeah: