When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

omega validation help

rcaf2008

All the red dot means is that the watch hasn't been opened... if the watch was purchased used and checked for WR yearly (if used for swimming, diving, etc) or if the watch was serviced- you're not going to see the dot. Just a little FYI because I've seen people call out Omega's before based on not having the "Globe" hallmark or red dot.

And PS- I don't think it'd be THAT tough to replicate the dot if you really wanted to...best way to check is to bring it to an AD and ask them to check that the movement serial matches the serial on the lug closest to 7 O'Clock.

However, gray market Omegas (of which there are tens of thousands) have no serial on the lug. I have a SMP Chrono - fully genuine, but no serial on the lug. Same with my Speedmaster II, which can, however, be dated to 1969 by the movement serial. I don't know if that vintage had the serial on the lug, though. The other issue with Omega is the ready availability of replacement cases. I have a current Speedmaster, genuine in every way, but is just awaiting a new movement. It, however, has never graced an AD, having been built entirely from new, genuine Omega parts obtained over the last 3 years.

The movement dating, and the trim of the rest of the watch being accurate for the age of the movement/case, is the only way to determine the probability of an older Omega being completely genuine (see the Omega Red Book for this info). If you are considering buying a newer used one, they pop up for sale all the time, and it is a simple matter to wait for one with complete documentation.

However, gray market Omegas (of which there are tens of thousands) have no serial on the lug. I have a SMP Chrono - fully genuine, but no serial on the lug. Same with my Speedmaster II, which can, however, be dated to 1969 by the movement serial. I don't know if that vintage had the serial on the lug, though. The other issue with Omega is the ready availability of replacement cases. I have a current Speedmaster, genuine in every way, but is just awaiting a new movement. It, however, has never graced an AD, having been built entirely from new, genuine Omega parts obtained over the last 3 years.

The movement dating, and the trim of the rest of the watch being accurate for the age of the movement/case, is the only way to determine the probability of an older Omega being completely genuine (see the Omega Red Book for this info). If you are considering buying a newer used one, they pop up for sale all the time, and it is a simple matter to wait for one with complete documentation.

Very true, I forgot about grey market gens with no SNs on the lugs... the movement will have a serial that you can email Omega about for more info about which watch that movement went into...

... the movement will have a serial that you can email Omega about for more info about which watch that movement went into...

I tried that with my Speedy II just a couple of weeks ago. They sent back a form email referring me to their .pdf document which only lays out serial numbers by year. They won't give out specific information about a particular watch anymore unless you send it to them.

I tried that with my Speedy II just a couple of weeks ago. They sent back a form email referring me to their .pdf document which only lays out serial numbers by year. They won't give out specific information about a particular watch anymore unless you send it to them.

Interesting...I was able to get Maria to send me specifics but I've sent her a bunch of emails before... is it vintage? May have been because the one I was inquiring about was a 2007-2008 model.