When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

027 Project Attn: Experts

Snrubb

I just purchased an 027A dial from dluddy.

Now the project begins!

I think I know where I can source a Soprod 9040 movement for around $500

Would a case for a Swiss 063 work? Would I be able to use the movement ring?

I'll also need to source a set of hands. Does anyone know of a set out there?

A proper case back would also be ideal, but clearly down the road.

What are the other gotchas from this project.

Thanks for any input. :)

Ziggy undertook a similar project for me and it was very frustrating

He tried fitting the 27 movement assembly into a PAM 063 ETA 2836 and 029 case bodies without success

The movement is thicker on the 2892 Soprod 9040 due to the PR module which sits on top and as such a thicker case was used on the original 027 rep

I had a Jimmy case interior milled to accept the movement assembly perfectly but then the problem for me was the height of the bezel and the hand stack touching the crystal - so the rep crystal can't be installed. I'm not sure if a gen bezel and/or gen crystal would solve the problem but I have not been fortunate enough to find the parts and try.

In the end I had a 27 case body but no bezel , so picked up a damaged rep 28 case , removed the bezel ,and polished it up to finish my 27.

I found parts on here and through contacting all the dealers across all the boards. I picked up the 28 case set from Robert at Prestige Watch Co.

It's a fantastic watch when completed so you just need luck ...or patience!

Good luck

FGD

Both gen and rep 027/028 PR cases are one of a kind, speicial dimensions to accomodate thicker assembly of ETA2892 + replica of a 'Soprod 9040' PR module mounted on top of it.

It's also one of the very few reps that uses a 'secondary' mag installed on underside of the DW window on the dial to provide extra magnification for the sunken DW that's sitting quite low and deep because of the PR module assembly. Strangely enough gen 027/028 don't come with the secondary mags and still project the date to the wearer very well. I believe this is due to better magnification of the primary mag installed on underside of xtal, as well as larger DW opening on the dial.

Either or, fidlling with the 027/028 reps as far as parts compatibility and swap come, is very limited to the rep collector. My 027 rep received Marco's mag and Lello's (older version without known issues with installetion) DW. It also has Kruzer's gen crown with duble-seal assembly on the neck, just like the genuine A and B series Pams had.

I'm still sitting on the fence re T-lume, as the rep I have comes with nicely aged lume from the factory already, will have to think about this one, though.

cheers,

b

Snrubb-

You are a lucky man. Too many of us have learned of the differences between the 2893 and 2892-A2 models. It is a little known fact that the original Rep 27's "cheat" by raising the height of the bezel just that little bit to achieve clearance hand clearance. And as everyone says neither the GMT case nor a Jimmy work without remilling the case. In any case I would suggest trying an ultimate crystal from one of the newer reps as it actually does use a sandwich crystal and so it can provide additional clearance or one of sssurfer's custom cyclops which he was able to design a little thinner (and with better clarity I might add) knowing that he had the secondary magnification on the movement.

Snrubb-

You are a lucky man. Too many of us have learned of the differences between the 2893 and 2892-A2 models. It is a little known fact that the original Rep 27's "cheat" by raising the height of the bezel just that little bit to achieve clearance hand clearance. And as everyone says neither the GMT case nor a Jimmy work without remilling the case. In any case I would suggest trying an ultimate crystal from one of the newer reps as it actually does use a sandwich crystal and so it can provide additional clearance or one of sssurfer's custom cyclops which he was able to design a little thinner (and with better clarity I might add) knowing that he had the secondary magnification on the movement.

K, is that a brand new ssurfer's cyclop you're referring to? I got mine (027/028 cyclop) 6 months ago from him and remember ssurfer saying for his cyclop to work the best the secondary cyclop had to be removed from under the dial, and that's exactly what I asked The Zigmeister to do.

So has he now made a different one with lesser degree of magnification to work with the secondary mag?

cheers,

babola

K, is that a brand new ssurfer's cyclop you're referring to? I got mine (027/028 cyclop) 6 months ago from him and remember ssurfer saying for his cyclop to work the best the secondary cyclop had to be removed from under the dial, and that's exactly what I asked Ziggy to do.

So has he now made a different one with lesser degree of magnification to work with the secondary mag?

cheers,

babola

Yes, Babola, his latest works in conjunction with the lower secondary mag...

How good is it, any better than single primary mag ? Has anyone compared the two ?

Was it simply made to rectify the issue with second hand 'catching' on thicker primary mag?

thanks...any info on these new is much appreciated. Will PM M also.

cheers,

b

How good is it, any better than single primary mag ? Has anyone compared the two ?

Was it simply made to rectify the issue with second hand 'catching' on thicker primary mag?

thanks...any info on these new is much appreciated. Will PM M also.

cheers,

b

I suspect no one has that answer except sssurfer. ;) I wish I still had a picture but the funniest thing I did was putting a gen 6mm crystal (which it turns out was for the GMT's) on the watch. It made the Rolex Submariner date look small. :)

The funny thing is that I am about to do another 28 and am just sending out a Jimmy for milling. I will either use Marco's cyclops or the ultimate crystal if there still isn't enough clearance.