When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone know a good bit about Pro Audio / DJ Equipment?

jdkno

As the title states I am looking for someone who knows a good little bit about Pro Audio / DJ Equipment.

Not so much the mixing and mic stuff, mostly speakers, amps, and equipment to play music.

in your own house? in a club?

laptop + torque dj software/hardware + pair of cdj (or SL1210 MKII turntables), technics headfones (or sony, i have the v700 and the 7506 production phone), mixer + some speakers ( in your house a pair of budget behringer 2031a will be good )

in a club, just get your laptop, the torque/finalscratch/serato interface and your phones.

No not in a house or a club, well maybe used in a house from time to time.

Here is what I am looking for might give you a better idea as to where I am going.

I ride on a Mardi Gras float every year, which just so happened to be the day before yesterday. We had a stereo system on the float pumping out music all day long but between the noise and everything else going on it was not loud enough, basicly they were running 100x2 out of a stereo and it was not cutting it.

I am looking to replace what we have now with something louder, and since it will be stored all year long and only used once a year I do not want to get into spending a ton of money on it. However I had thought about if I can make it nice enough I could always hook it up in my game room to run with my X box and make for some fun first person shooter games.

I was thinking of somethng like this

2 speaker boxes, each housing 1 - 12" sub, 4 - 6" mids, and 2 - horn tweeters

1 250x2 amp running the subs only

1 250x2 amp running the mids and highs

I was thinking the best way to do it would be off of an iPod. I can load up 6-8 hours of music, hit shuffle and leave it alone.

I figure I will need a pre-amp to take the signal from the iPod that will have a master volume, bass and treble controls. From the pre-amp I will need it to go to the amp(s) and from there to the speakers.

I have a pretty good backround in car audio but running a system on 12v is a no go.

Also weight. I already have to haul a couple of hundred pounds of beads, ice chests, ect..ect.. up there I really don't want to have to haul up another couple hundred pounds of gear as well. I was thinking I could build the speaker cabinets out of fiberglass to save weight.

I have a year to get all of this together but I want to start now to give me time.

I have been looking at the Behringer A500 Amps figuring 2 of those should push what I need.

Do they make rack mount crossovers or will I have to build/buy inline passive units?

Do they make a cheap pre-amp that does nothing but take the signal and offer base/treble/volume controls?

Mixer board huh. I will have to look into that.

I think crossovers of some kind will be a must either inline passive or rack mounted active. If I send an unfiltered signal to everything none of it with the exception to maybe the subs will last too long.

ETA: I wonder how this would work out???

http://www.technicalhifi.com/prods.php?prod=Z-Pod2000

How is the legal stuff regarding this where you live? Here in Denmark, it's illegal to play either from a laptop, Ipod or even burned cds (even if you bought the music online). So everytime I play as a DJ, I have to bring all my cds! Incredibly annoying!

And by the way, consider twice before buying anything Behringer! I've only had bad experince with Behringer amps!

Edited by templeofbu

How is the legal stuff regarding this where you live? Here in Denmark, it's illegal to play either from a laptop, Ipod or even burned cds (even if you bought the music online). So everytime I play as a DJ, I have to bring all my cds! Incredibly annoying!

And by the way, consider twice before buying anything Behringer! I've only had bad experince with Behringer amps!

You have got to be kidding me on the legal end of playing music...

Here we can play anything we want. iPods, burned CD's, Laptops, you name it. In all honesty I don't even own any CD's anymore. My iPod has taken over that role. I have it in the car controlled through the indash TV, I have a dock at home hooked up to the stereo, I have a Bose Sound dock at the office, and a cheaper Sony ZS iPod boombox in the garage.

You have got to be kidding me on the legal end of playing music...

Here we can play anything we want. iPods, burned CD's, Laptops, you name it. In all honesty I don't even own any CD's anymore. My iPod has taken over that role. I have it in the car controlled through the indash TV, I have a dock at home hooked up to the stereo, I have a Bose Sound dock at the office, and a cheaper Sony ZS iPod boombox in the garage.

Nope... In private it of course is okay... But as soon as it is a public gathering of any sort, it's illegal!

Edited by templeofbu

WOW....now that SUX BIG TIME!!!! CD's?!?!?!? What are those?!!?! My iPod everywhere!!!!