When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Chrono Issue

vaca22

Does anyone have any crown issues with the SMP Chrono? I purchased one and send it back for servicing, and it came back in almost the same condition. Just wondering if anyone else had issues in getting the crown to screw down tightly, as mine does not.

Can anyone recommend a dealer?

TIA!

Mine too stripped soon after purchase. When even the calendar ceased to function, I gave it to a local watchsmith who was able to fit a Gen crown and crown tube, along with a Gen date disc and wheel. Now, I am in negotiations to purchasing a Gen bezel, and that's about all I will be doing as for mods to this watch, as it is a really good Rep apart from the mentioned facts.

Mine too stripped soon after purchase. When even the calendar ceased to function, I gave it to a local watchsmith who was able to fit a Gen crown and crown tube, along with a Gen date disc and wheel. Now, I am in negotiations to purchasing a Gen bezel, and that's about all I will be doing as for mods to this watch, as it is a really good Rep apart from the mentioned facts.

The bezel is an expensive upgrade just to move the pearl up 0.5mm. I'm wearing mine now in fact...and it really is a great rep. I did the tube crown and datewheel upgrade...as well as had the orange hands painted to match the orange ticks on the chapter ring of the dial...well...actually the The Zigmeister-meister did this without my asking. I didn't notice the difference...but when he pointed it out...I can't take my eyes off it when I look at it.

That's the thing with reps and this forum...when you learn about shortcomings on the reps...it's so easy to focus on them...and forget about how close the pieces are in reality.

The bezel is an expensive upgrade just to move the pearl up 0.5mm.

Well, of course this is a used bezel I am negotiating about ;-) And as another option, there are aftermarket bezel inserts - originally meant as cheap replacement alternatives for worn out Gen bezel inserts - that really look like the real McCoy and of course have the pearl at the right place.

...and forget about how close the pieces are in reality.

Yea, indeed! I think this is all just high level argueing ;-) The SMP Chrono is one of the best reps out of the box I ever met.

Well, of course this is a used bezel I am negotiating about ;-) And as another option, there are aftermarket bezel inserts - originally meant as cheap replacement alternatives for worn out Gen bezel inserts - that really look like the real McCoy and of course have the pearl at the right place.

Let me know when you find a good insert with a proper pearl. I've only seen ones with the same issue as our reps.