When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noisy movement in my AP ROO and a strange watch deal.

dez82

Background story

I ordered an AP ROO black dial from a dealer that was listed in this forum a few months ago but is no longer (I don't know why).

The watch I wanted to get was an AP ROO with secs at 9 but with correct subdial positions (like the MBW). I e-mailed him a link to another watchdealer that had a watch like that because I couldn't get into his webshop to see if he had that watch.

And I got a good price because he didn't have this watch in his shop.

I paid and he sent the watch. When I got the watch it didn't work. And it was very noisy when I turned it around.

The thing is that the watch really looked like an AP ROO secs at 12 but I just thought they had made a watch with secs at 9 with exactly the same dial as the secs at 12.

I sent the watch back for repair and today I got it back. When I took it out of the box I could see that it was working but to my surprise it was a secs at 12. Really strange because it was the same watch i got the first time that was sent back but I had ordered and paid for a secs at 9 (paid 295 usd).

The thing is that the watch is still noisy and I wonder what it could be? I don't wanna send it back to China one more time. Is it something that I maybe can fix by myself? Or should i send it to some watchsmith here in Europe? (read about a german guy).

What do you guys think, can you give me some advices.

I don't know exactly how to describe it. Maybe it is the rotor. It is some kind of metallic sound, scratching. The firts time I heard it I thought it was a screw loose inside the watch.

How do you tighten the rotor? Maybe some good pics somewhere? :)

Edited by dez82

The rotor should spin freely on this movement, so it will make a little noise but with the big metal case of an AP ROO it should not be very audible.

The caseback can easily be opened with a screwdriver, see the 8 screwheads on the back.

Unscrew them the case back comes off and you will be staring at the rotor. When you look at the rotor and movement you may be able to see what is making the noise. Just be careful not to get dust into the movement while the caseback is open and you will be fine.

No special tools or skills, just 1 screwdriver.

Best of luck.

I opened the watch but I couldn't find any obvious faults. I think the rotor was tightened enough because it couldn't be tightened more than it was but I didn't put that much power on it to avoid breaking anything.

The rotor spinned very smooth and it didn't make that much noise when it was spinning around. The noise came when the rotor was moving back and forth in the same place and that was in the lower part of the movement. I couldn't see if the rotor was touching anything but it didn't look like it did that.

Maybe it's just a case of lubcrication of the ball bearings on the rotor wheel as kronos twin said. Because it sounds like it is the rotor that makes the sound when it moves in a specific place.

When the power reserv went out I couldn't make the watch start just by shaking it and I had to wind it 5-10 times and then it started to run again. Is that common with this modified 7750 movement?

I have now ben using the watch for three days and it works perfect. It is just sometimes it makes these noises and it is when I shake my hand or maybe put my hand up side down and it is probably because the rotor moves back and forth in this specific place.