When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ThinkBachs Collection, A Work in Progress

ThinkBachs

With my new camera in hand, I'm excited about starting to get creative with photography again. The camera that I've taken miles of film worth of photos is my trusty Nikon 6006N. Not a top of the line camera, but one that I was very happy with, and served me well. With digital being all the rage, and way more convenient (as well as cost effective), I did some research and found a brand new SONY DSC-H5 at a fraction of the original retail price to start playing with. I went with this because it has very good close focus capability, a large Carl Zeiss lens, very good reviews with minor issues that I can easily live with, and I like the fact that I don't have a camera that I can or have to change lenses. I'm sure this will do everything I need it to for now.

So, without further adoo, my first photos of the watch I love the most...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

A couple things to keep in mind- first, never cut off the crown in the shot (that second photo would have been sooo much better!), second, carry an air can with me to ensure the watch is dust free, towels just don't cut it. Now I'll have to do some looking around to steal/borrow/rep some ideas that others have posted. :) I also read somewhere where someone used olive oil to "relax" his bracelet, and he noticed that it made the SS look much better, I may have to do a little experimentation myself to see how it works out.

This is a flame free zone- all constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. It's the only way I know how to learn to do what I'm interested in, better.

Nice pics bro, such a nice watch to photograph.

Natural lighting, particularly outside will always be pretty hard to work with. I'm sure the shooting will become alot more interesting the deeper you get into it. As it seems digital photography may be a new thing for you - it's also interesting to learn about post processing which will make the shots all the more attractive. My favourite pic of the set is the last one, beautiful surface texture and colour contrast and good use of macro photography function!

Nice pics so far but they can be improved easily. Photographing watches is a challenge but once you get the set up right its very rewarding. In natural light try and avoid direct sunlight, infact overcast days are the best. Also get yourself two pieces of stiff card, one white and one black. Use them as reflectors and deflectors of light onto the watch using the self timer on the camers so you keep your hands free.

Have fun!

P.

Some good advice here. I just went on a mini spending spree on eBay for UV filter, telescoping rubber hood... I used to spend a lot of time with my Nikon just driving to get lost and coming up with some really cool stuff. The best shots are the ones that never get planned! I'm looking forward to going on some adventures with my daughter, hopefully she'll have half as much fun as I will.

I think it's time to start cleaning up my office and creating a mini photo area. In the meantime, I'll also start looking around for whatever I'll need to take some really good macro shots. A diffuser is a really good idea, not that we get a lot of sun in upstate NY, it'll be nice to have something for the days we do...

No worries about the olive oil, I have no interest in smelling like a chef at Olive Garden when I wear my watches. :p