When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Heuer Monaco w/o second hand at 3?

bizta

Hey everyone,

I have read in detail about the 3 oclock second hand problem that makes a Monaco replica problematic. What about this version, or a similar one though?

WW2110-FC6177.jpg

This one doesnt have the second hand at 3.

I am looking for a black face Monaco, it doesnt matter which one exactly, other than I want a good rep w/o the noted problem and shortcomings in appearance. Is there an alternative?

Secondly, I would consider a Monza instead, something classic looking, is there one that is well regarded here?

I dont want any of the flashy colors or stripes, a white or black face, although that steve Mcqueen model is great but I have read the review and the rep is not very close to the gen.

Anyway, hoping someone can recommend a sqare face Tag!

Thanks

bitza, I am big fan of the Monaco, and I had the same idea, the sec at 6 should be easy to rep. Well, so far I have not been able to find a decent rep of this model, not even a bad one.

I also put my eyes on the Monza, but be aware that this TAG also has the sec subdial at 3 o'clock position, and the available rep has it at 9 because the factories use the venerable A 7750. Also the subdial spacing is wrong due the same reason. This 2 issues have kept away form the Monza so far.

Maybe with the new A7750 with closer subdial, we would be able to bet a better version of the Monza, and who knows, maybe even the long waited Monaco.

Yeap, a mile close... :)

The case is way wrong, but you are right that one is closer available out there.

Its not worth getting if its so off.

What I dont understand is that there are gen versions of the Monaco that dont have the problems that are mentioned in the threads with the 3 oclock hands, why hasnt it be repped then? Seems there is alot of interest in it.

So, it appears there is no nice version of the Monza available either?

There are 2 version of the Monza, a cheap 21j with faux chrono, to me a total give away. And a higher level A7750 with the following flaws:

1.- Date wheel sunken (minor on my scale of flaws). This flaw could not be avoided due the additional gear on the A7750 movt to move the minute counter from 12 to 3 o'clock.

2.- Subdials placement, in the gen the subdials are much closer (this is mayor flaw for me). Notice the date window placement on the pics bellow, in the rep it is inside the chrono hour counter at 6, and in the gen the window is totally outside of the subdial. Maybe in the near future this will be solve with the new modded A7750 with closer subdials.

3.- Seconds and minutes counters are inverted in the rep (mayor flaw too), this is also due the A7750 configuration. Also with this flaw, I don't think the factories are going to solve it.

Other than this, I don't see any additional problems with the rep, the pushers, crown and case size & shape look good. Caseback window as the gen, let expose the A7750, but you need an expert to notice a rep movt form the gen. Ah, of course the gen Monza has a Caliber 36 movt that run at 36,000 bph, which is way smoother than A7750 @ 21,000 bhp on the rep. But again, you need an expert to notice this.

In the following pics, you could see what I mean, judge by yourself.

Monza.jpgMonza1.jpg