When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub LV from Silix, 6 seconds fast...

Josetann

Ok, so six seconds fast isn't too bad right? Well, this one is six seconds fast per MINUTE! Initially, I thought maybe it got magnetized? I put a compass near it, and while the compass was attracted to it, it didn't seem to act any differently than another watch I received at the same time (a GMT Master II). Both watches were received in the same shipment, so I doubt one could have been magnetized in transit and not the others. All were supposed to have an ETA movement, though I have not opened to check.

Are there any obvious things that a complete newbie such as myself could check? A more surefire way to detect if it's magnetized or not? I think I may just need to send it somewhere, as I also need some work done on the dial (at least two of the markers are crooked). I'd like to do some experimenting on it if I could, though.

I don't remember exactly when I received the watch, but it's been at least six months ago. It's been on a winder the whole time, so this isn't an issue that will go away with time. The GMT Master II is fairly accurate, I'll set it five minutes fast and I'd estimate about two weeks or so later it's about five minutes slow. The GMT hand also needs to be reset every so often, but that's a pretty minor thing. In the same batch I also received two Explorers, one keeps sticking (when it works for a few days straight it seems to keep good time), the other works but doesn't keep good time (don't know if it's fast or slow, gave it to my brother, it stuck at first but was fine after about a week). All should have ETA movements. One other watch has a few issues, but it's not an ETA so I'm not concerned with it. It too will stick, but it has the flyback split seconds, and when it hangs it's always on the left second hand (from 30-60 seconds) just before it should fly back. I only mention the other watches' conditions, in case maybe all are symptoms of being magnetized.