When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Canal St Yacht-Master

TeeJay

I just received this watch, which I had originally intended to use as a parts donor to repair/modify my now deceased GMTSub.

When it arrived, I was actually fairly pleased. The quality of the bracelet and clasp was laughable, but, as my intention was to transfer over the movement/dial/hands and bezel insert, I wasn't overly concerned. Having stripped down (and re-built) both watches, I'm no further forward in my plan :lol:

I got everything into the GMT case, and swapped over the entire bezel assembly, but, the crown would not close over the tube :lol: So, pulled it apart again, and re-assembled the Yacht-Master, but with a few modifications... I burned off the cyclops, glued the crystal into place to try and ensure water resistance (further testing to come) and fitted the GMTSub bracelet. This was for two reasons. 1. I need a diver's extension on the bracelet. 2. I really didn't like the polished mid links, and, to be honest, it didn't really look right on me anyway, so, I wound up with this:

DSCN1078.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

My choice of this watch had two inspirations:

DSCN1082.jpg

This was my favorite watch from my school days. I loved the uniformity of the color scheme, and, when I first looked into Rolexes, I loved how the Yacht-Master resembled it, but, I went with the Subs, so that's history.

The other inspiration, was the UN MMD:

UN12r.jpg

This was why I chose the silver dial, rather than the granite dial, and, seeing how it reacts to the light, I'm pleased with the choice. Putting the Yacht-Master on the Submariner bracelet, provides enough 'brushed steel' to counteract the highlights of the polished steel, and reduces the bling factor.

All in all, although I wasn't able to transplant the parts to regenerate the other watch as I had intended, I've still managed to wind up with something along the lines of what I had in mind.

I only got rolled for the sum of

If anyone wants to say what a POS this is, please feel free, I won't be offended :lol: Y'all know how low my expectations are when it comes to watches, I'm actually quite happy with it as a watch, I'm just disappointed that I wasn't able to make the mods I had planned to do (that said, it's good to know that I disassembled the watch without totally trashing it, and it went back together again :lol: )