When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam Gmt 063, Crown Upgrade?

sprockett

Hi there, got a pam 063 gmt (2836) which i love...

however, one quibble i have with it is that the crown is kinda "wiggly"...

Im not sure if this is due the STEM itself flexing, or whether the CROWN itself is attached to the stem in a non fixed manner (spring?)

It doesnt affect the functionality of the work, but when i push the crown all the way in, it can still "wiggle" a bit, and when i close the crown protector lever, its possible that the crown doesnt align perfectly with the case.

Its very slight, but i was wondering if there was a fix to this? Or is this a problem inherent in this rep?

many thanks...

This is a common problem on the 063 and the 029. I'm getting a new Palp 2.1 mm crown when there done and I think the problem could be fixed by shortening the crown stem. I'm not a fix-it guy, but The Zigmeister is.

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Is palpatine's crown specific fo 2836 movements? or can it be used for both a 6497 / 2836?

Thanks!!

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!

I just got a new alligator strap, and am loving it..

What crown is that you have? it definitely loooks thicker than my default one!

(Mine is an EL 2836 063)

This was one of my first watches. I had lello crown put on this some time ago.

The mystery girl boob shot was before I put the crown on... :D

hahah no problem!!

the default CG looks pretty IMHO... i hope to get a new crown, cyclops and datewheel..

this pam is rocking man..

Personally, i prefer this to my other 6497 pammy, main reason being its AUTO!!!!

so much more convenient than having to remember to wind up every day or so...

DOes the AR really work? But from some pics i've seen on ebay, even the Gen has a really reflective glass...

Edited by sprockett

The crown on the 63 is sprung which is why it wobbles. It is like this so that when the crwon lever is closed it does not put pressure on the keyless works.

@Esteban - shortening the stem does nothing - in fact if you do that you will unlikely be able to wind the watch.

I have the Palp 2mm crown on my 63 with a Jimmy CG. When fitting the Palp crown you will really need a new stem as the screw hole is deeper in his crowns.

The crown on the 63 is sprung which is why it wobbles. It is like this so that when the crwon lever is closed it does not put pressure on the keyless works.

@Esteban - shortening the stem does nothing - in fact if you do that you will unlikely be able to wind the watch.

I have the Palp 2mm crown on my 63 with a Jimmy CG. When fitting the Palp crown you will really need a new stem as the screw hole is deeper in his crowns.

Hi Fine pics, is palps crown sprung as well? if not, would it damage the keyless works?

Finepics, where can you get a new stem for the palp crown? I have the 2mm one too...

Also, when you say the palp crown is not sprung... is it sprung in the gen? Does it wobble as well in the gen then?

Not sure about a wobble in the gen - never had one to try. The stems are available from O.Frei or Cousins - not expensive. My crown is from the first batch and is 2mm. I understand the new batch of crowns are on the way.

I don't think the second run of crowns is due out for a while yet but Palp was making some noise about taking money a couple weeks ago.. I never got any info or a request to send any so I'm patiently waiting...

I suspect sprung crowns are going to be the new standard on the pams. It makes them a lot easier and faster to fit and also will allow for a better seal at the crown.

The real issue with fitting the crowns properly either sprung or unspung is that if the crown and lever are resting against the stem in the keyless works instead of the crown seating against the crown tube you don't get a water tight seal.