When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do we really know the quality of our rep SS bracelets?

Prsist

I ask because I just bought an Ebel 1911 (Love it!). I noticed a little irritation on my wrist when I took her off. I wear my watch loose so she slides a lot, so it could be just that. I'm allergic to nickel and phormaldohide (spelling I know). That means I can't wear leather or any exotic strap. A gen exotic strap or a high quality leather strap will work, sometimes. (My Maurice Lacroix leather strap doesn't bother me). Aftermarket straps give me a rash so I can only wear bracelets. Are the rep bracelets of lower quality? Rolex with their 906L (right number?) has a high nickel content but is it of such high quality that those of us with an allergy to nickel won't break out with a rash? Or are they pretty close to the gens?

Rep bracelets are not 904L, I think the large majority of them (or at least the reps that WE buy) are 316L. I have heard that some of the cheaper reps, such as those found in canal st. can have 205 grade steel (2 something). Some people who have allergies (most likely nickel) can break out with a rash when they wear 904L, but have no problems with 316L.

Now it is possible that the rep makers who made the Discovery used a higher grade steel, and that could be causing the rash, or it could be something else. Try wearing it a little tighter than usual and see how your skin reacts to it.

I know this is a very basic comment, but did you wash the bracelet upon received it ? As soon I receive a watch with SS bracelet I wash it and a ton of black stuff pours out of it, God knows what it could be. :)

After the bubble bath, comes the oil bath, in your case due the allergies, I recommend baby oil or olive oil.

Maybe this help.

As above really, who knows what steel they use in our reps but I'll add; Genuine Rolex bracelets up until now are not made of 904L. The deepsea and the new Milgauss are exceptions. This is an assumption due to their marketing.

Bracelets have been tested on gen forums and show 316L. The GMT IIc hasnt been tested yet but its possible the new models will all begin to have 904L bracelets!

"Rolex uses 904L steel for all it's steel watch cases..."

source

Rolex has been using primarily 904L on all of their steel watch cases for a long time.

The 168000 was the first in the late 80's and slowly thereafter the steel models were all made from 904L.

(EDIT: I see now you said bracelets specifically :D)

Edited by gillorin