When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Salvador Dali Softwatch?

nikki6

I picked up a kinda cool little curio from ebay tonight, no idea if any of you guys remember the Dali softwatch or not. But I got a warrenty/cetificate of authenticity for one from a store I buy stuff from every so often.

It's no great ground breaking thing, just thought some of you guys might find it interesting/amusing. Does anyone remember the watch at all?

post-18919-1239834254_thumb.jpg

Sixx :bones:

Seller: Exmoor Lurcher in Lynton, North Devon???

No Samurai, it was more based on his most famous 1931 painting "Persistence of Memory" which established him.

The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

Often copied and finally licensed in his last years when he became all encompassing commercial, the wristwatch would have looked like this and "signed" supposedly by the artist. Unsigned copies are less than $100, quartz or questionable and all over ebay.

DaliMeltingWatch.jpg

I remember, but in my 60+ plus years, I've never seen one in person and I don't think they ever fetched much, even today. Dali became so commercial that he turned off the art community and true art collectors alike. (Lots of controversy still today about his collectible "art prints" of his work.) Still, he was a pioneer and will eventually be redeemed in "time" which would be justice and appropriate.

You need to find the watch to go with the certificate.

Yeah, thats the one Omni, just thought it was an interesting wee curio. It is a plastic credit card like authenticity certificate.

Been a fan of Dali's for a good while, I can remember the picture that I think this is based on (dodgy memory, sorry) but have never seen the watch to my knowledge. Just thought I would throw it out there to se what people thought.

Sixx :bones:

I've seen that painting and quite a few others of his. They brought a huge impressionist exibition to Brisbane a few years ago that was one of the largest collections of Dali's work ever assembeled. More than you can see in anyone place in EU even. Was a great show. I'd be happy with any signed Dali, print or not.

Col.