When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low Maintanance way to clean a bracelet?

Prsist

I have bracelets that are brushed, polished and a combo of both. Looking for a way that will work across the board. Let me start by saying I'm pleased with all my bracelets. I just want to give my reps a cleaning since they are probably dirty. Here is what I surmise:

1. Clean with soapy warm water.

2. Remove bracelet and soak in baby oil for a couple hours.

3. Clean with warm soapy water.

4. Wear to have anything still in the bracelet come off on wrist

That about sum it up?

What about polish? What is a good general polish that can be used on all types of bracelet finishes?

One of my favourite things to do :D

1)Invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. They are not that expensive; about $30 and no method can beat its cleaning power. This will make your bracelet EXTREMELY clean and is extremel handy.

Digial_Ultrasonic_Cleaner_220V_SS_8.jpg

2)After your bracelet is clean, lubricate it using the lubricant of your choice. Everyone has their own preferred one. I use sewing machine oil, others use vegetable oil or baby oil. Others use silicon lubricants or bike chain lubricant wax...

3)Work the lubricant into the links by twisting them around, and then let it soak for an amount of time of your choice. I personally only let it soak for about 10-20 mins and the bracelet feels MUCH better than out of the factory. I guess when you leave it soaking for hours the lubricant would work even better, just a matter of choice.

4)I then rinse it under the tap in very warm soapy water. But I don't over do it, just enough that most of the oil is removed from the surface.

Now I have a very clean and lubricated bracelet which feels much better. Polishing/refinishing is my favourite part. For finishing mirror-finish areas, I use a dremel with 3 different compounds with 3 appropriate wheels. This is the only way I get a pure mirror finish completely scratch/mark free. The chemical stuff like cape cod, Mothers mag, brasso etc. doesn't even come close. The compounds also give the steel a unique shine as I guess they are specifically made for polishing metals like steel.

For brushed areas, I have 3 different abrasive pads which are very similar to the Bergeon satin pads. They disintegrates upon using kinda like a rubber pencil eraser. The 3 grits are coarse, medium and fine and I use the appropriate one to get the finish as close as possible to the original factory finish. After polishing I either stick it in the ultrasonic if I used the compounds, or just rinse in soapy water if I used the pads.

The above methods are low maintenance, the most expensive equipment being the ultrasonic (

Actually removing then replacing the bracelets on reps can be a huge pain in the a**.. often the spring bar holes are not where they should be and the spring bar has to be bent or forced into place. I had a real battle with a Planet Ocean recently.

Before you remove the bracelet look at the spring bars.. if the end link is tightly in place and the bars are distinctly bent then be careful.

Also remember what every lube you use is going to get on and into your skin. Not all lubricants are safe for this. Most mineral oils, WD40 and many bike chain lubes are specifically not safe for long term skin contact.

what will dirty the case back and bracelet more than anything is.... dead skin cells.. the grunge.. (especially during simmer months) is actually dead skin cells and not so much dirt.. ergo I use a soft bristle tooth brush almost daily on the links and case back..

3 in 1 multi purpose oil for the links.. and aluminium metal polish and again.. a toothbrush.. for the bracelet.... the toothbrush gets the little cracks that the polish adheres to..

simple and it works for me :)