When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hour hand misaligned

oirish

I have 3 reps Im very happy with. Two of them have the hour hands well out of synch with the minute hands. The movements are 21j and a venus hand wind. Ive havnt yet opened up the cases and messed around with the internals so I'm a bit nervous about it. I want to take out the movements and physically align the hour hand.

Rather than taking off the hands is it ok to pivot the hands on the central stem? Will this action loosen the grip the hands already have or will it damage the works?

Guest avitt

If you want to reposition the hands, you'll need to pull them, and replace them using the proper tools. If you try to rotate a hand which is in place, you will most likely separate the hand from its tube (or worse...).

Sorry to threadjack, but are the bergeon hand pullers worth it? They are on ebay for around $50 per size(!), and I imagine you'd need multiples to cover the normal range of hands. Meanwhile the knockoffs are around $5-10. Yes, I know you get what you pay for, but I would definitely cover the dial with something protective and be very very careful about what the little grabbers are touching.

I dig quality and swiss-ness, but I'm all about function. For example, my $90 usd 50mm f/1.8 nikkor lens absolutely crushes any low mag. loupe out there, swiss or otherwise. Double-gauss design, 6 multi-coated elements, one of the sharpest lenses for 35mm available. Yet who thinks to look through an SLR camera lens backwards. I need to rig up a headband for it.