When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Customs Problems In Non-dealer Transactions

thomasng

I need the help of the membership of this forum again.

What should happen in second hand transactions where customs seizes the watch? I got my part of the deal, but the other end had what I sent them taken. In any case, there was proof that I sent what I was supposed to, as Customs over there said they seized it and will destroy it (Damn, it's a PAM 187).

Any advice on what should happen is appreciated.

I am in Germany and I had my customs-contact with my 2nd EL187.

It arrived at Frankfurt airport-customs on 04.07.2006 and was held there for nearly 4 weeks.

After several calls to the international german postal services ("...your package is still at customs office!") I got a letter from the customs office that they had my package under special investigations and they presume a violation of the german trademark laws and they will keep the package, seized it.

I was extremly worried cause they also stated to inform any other involved authorities (in this case Richemont).....I pee´d my pants for at least 1 week and after a holiday break I returned to my office desk to find a letter from the local customs office, stating to bring an invoice and I will get my package....everything went fine, paid a small amount, off I was!

Long say......just ask the buyer to send you the customs letter where custom stated they seized the watch, inspect this letter and maybe you can contact customs and tell them you traded the watch!

Please note, this is a NON-dealer transaction and the buyer always knows about the risk he takes.

On the other hand.....I would act when I have the customs letter in my hands, if the watch is really seized........I´d act as a trusted member of this community.

Sorry if I was no big help,

Theo

I learned a valuable lesson and will state this clearly in the future.

Nevertheless, I offered to take half of the losses and it was accepted. I had to or I would have been stuck with a guilty conscience, as I hate to see someone else get screwed. Of course, considering my exceptional package deal yesterday, it's okay after all.

I learned a valuable lesson and will state this clearly in the future.

Nevertheless, I offered to take half of the losses and it was accepted. I had to or I would have been stuck with a guilty conscience, as I hate to see someone else get screwed. Of course, considering my exceptional package deal yesterday, it's okay after all.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have sold a few items here, If anyone inquires about the item from outside the US, I tell them I am willing to ship outside the US, but will not be responsible for any customs problems.

If possible customs issues were not discused, I think you should probobly split the loss. I dont think you would be "wrong" to not split, but I think spliting would be the "right" thing to do.