When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedy Subdial Spacing

Nebakanezzar

Hey all,

So, why is it the subdial spacing on the speedy's still bad?

They were able to fix the spacing in the daytonas, whay cant they use the same movement in the speedy? I know the Daytona movement has problems,but from wht i understand, it is mainly because the seconds are at 6...on the speedy, the seconds are at 9, no? so wouldnt a moded 7750 with seconds at 9 be better than a moded 7750 with seconds at 6?

Hey all,

So, why is it the subdial spacing on the speedy's still bad?

They were able to fix the spacing in the daytonas, whay cant they use the same movement in the speedy? I know the Daytona movement has problems,but from wht i understand, it is mainly because the seconds are at 6...on the speedy, the seconds are at 9, no? so wouldnt a moded 7750 with seconds at 9 be better than a moded 7750 with seconds at 6?

First, could they fix the subdial spacing on the speedy? Yes. With some offset gearing the dials could be tweaked into a more favorible position. Do they have any incentive to do so. Absolutely not! The Daytona is a very popular replica and demand sets the market as evidenced by the amount of gearing added to it to move the dials accurately, (and at the expense of the mechanical reliability of the pieces. Read Ziggy's review of the Daytona running seconds at six for a great explaination of the "Rube Goldberg" dial mechanics in the Daytona), but there is no incentive to do so in the Omega's. They are just not popular enough among collectors to justify the re-working. The subdial spacing is a minor issue anyway. Many here have posted pictures of genuine Speedys with different subdial positions over the years. With a watch that was made in about a thousand varients, the subdials are far from a fatal flaw.

First, could they fix the subdial spacing on the speedy? Yes. With some offset gearing the dials could be tweaked into a more favorible position. Do they have any incentive to do so. Absolutely not! The Daytona is a very popular replica and demand sets the market as evidenced by the amount of gearing added to it to move the dials accurately, (and at the expense of the mechanical reliability of the pieces. Read The Zigmeister's review of the Daytona running seconds at six for a great explaination of the "Rube Goldberg" dial mechanics in the Daytona), but there is no incentive to do so in the Omega's. They are just not popular enough among collectors to justify the re-working. The subdial spacing is a minor issue anyway. Many here have posted pictures of genuine Speedys with different subdial positions over the years. With a watch that was made in about a thousand varients, the subdials are far from a fatal flaw.

From what I have read, it is my understanding is that the modded daytona with seconds at 9 requires less ectra gears and is therfore more reliable than the modded daytona with seconds at 6...is this correct?

From what I have read, it is my understanding is that the modded daytona with seconds at 9 requires less ectra gears and is therfore more reliable than the modded daytona with seconds at 6...is this correct?

The unmodified 7750 has running seconds at 9, chrono minutes at 12, and chrono hours at 6. To modify it to 7753 configuration in the Speedy (the genuine speedy doesn't contain a 7753) they only add a few gears to move the chrono minutes to 3. Moving the chrono minutes to a slightly closer to the center 3 and just shifting the other subdials closer to the center shouldn't be a tough assignment but the only mods that are done on a regular basis to the base asian 7750 caliber is the 12 to 3 shift of the minute counter to give the appearance of a 7753 config, or the crazy shuffle to have running seconds at six in the new daytonas.

I dont think the market cry for a Speedmaster specific movement is loud enough to justify the production. Just too many genuines that are replicated have 7750 and 7753 dial positions.

Edited by crystalcranium