When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Big Bang questions for Experts...

Guest hublot1

Guest hublot1

Hello everyone,

Being a real HBB fanatic I have read for months every single post on RG & RWG...

After purchasing from the most respected dealers several HBB Ultimates (mainly SS SS bezel & SS polished Ceramic bezel) from the best or first factory 28.8 movement, double AR, real ceramic bezel...etc I have yet to have one single watch that was flawless. The factory AR is great however my issue regards quality control especially upon very close inspection I cannot help mylself to always be drawn to some superficial specs of dust, particles, or uneven uniformity of the dials and subdials.

I mean we are already paying a big premium +$500 for a SS Ceramic version and what is supposed to be one of the best replicas in 2008 and now with the Rolex GMT 2 Ceramic in 2009

Am I being too anal and fussy?

Any advice, help or comment?

Edited by hublot1

They don't really get much better that what you are buying unfortunately. These aren't assembled in swiss dust free workshops so its common to get a few specs under the dial.

Its pretty easy to remove dust specs though. You might be best to learn some basic watchmaking skills so you can do your own quality control. You only really need screwdrivers, a blower and maybe a tiny clean paint brush for what you are doing.

The Hublots from the supposed "best factory" are priced at quite a premium over other reps. I don't know there's much can be done about that other than not to buy them. There are some good Hublot reps coming from the other factories though.

Guest hublot1
None of my V1 HBBs have any dust under the crystal or any problems with the dial, crooked markers, etc.

Perhaps you just have bad luck?

I guess so indeed, coupled with being too demanding... I"ll have to admit it especially coming from the gen world; that mind you are not 100% bullet proof either :(

I do have by the way the original Hublot Bergeon screwdrivers. I will wait a few weeks and re-order another one from Puretime this time with single AR and see the difference. I know the gen has single AR which is different to the double factory AR with that bluish tint that I like. Aftermarket AR makes the crystral dissapear but not intrested really. I tried opening the watch as shown in a Spanish thread but was unable to unscrew the 2 screws holding the mechanism in place.

Thanks!

If you just unscrew those (shouldn't be hard at all, if you have the right screwdriver), and push the tiny "button" that locks the crown in place - voila, you're all set to remove the movement/dial from the case. You just lift it out.

It's a very easy operation to remove dust from the dial - just make sure you don't get any dust in the case while you're putting the movement/dial back in :)

I can relate to being anal with details, and from my experience, it's mostly luck when you stumble across an A+ specimen. Most tiny flaws, apart from misprintings and such, are fixable however.

What bothers you with the pieces you have right now? Please show some pics, and I'll try to help you if possible :)

reps will be reps and quality will never be as genuine. Even if you will pay +1000usd for a rep, for instance with a eta 7750, then there will still be irritating flaws.

Just got a full ceramic Tempus. paid a lot. watch looks great, but the rotor was messed up. Got it from the 'best' factory. rotor inscription was not engraved. and the letters were not in the middle of the rotor weight, but halve off and all over the place.

Back in the day Jakub offered Hublot rotor inscription for a low price. Maybe some people still do this on this board.

to get the dust off the dials, make sure you have the right screw drivers which fit without moving in the screws. And also a very small one to be able to press a pin to get the crown stem out. And you will need a blower for sure.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Guide-replacing-...panerai+crystal

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Installing-Valjo...cing+Asian+7750

Guest hublot1
reps will be reps and quality will never be as genuine. Even if you will pay +1000usd for a rep, for instance with a eta 7750, then there will still be irritating flaws.

Just got a full ceramic Tempus. paid a lot. watch looks great, but the rotor was messed up. Got it from the 'best' factory. rotor inscription was not engraved. and the letters were not in the middle of the rotor weight, but halve off and all over the place.

Back in the day Jakub offered Hublot rotor inscription for a low price. Maybe some people still do this on this board.

to get the dust off the dials, make sure you have the right screw drivers which fit without moving in the screws. And also a very small one to be able to press a pin to get the crown stem out. And you will need a blower for sure.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Guide-replacing-...panerai+crystal

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Installing-Valjo...cing+Asian+7750

Gentlmen thank you very much for the advice and both links which do help a lot it is much appreciated!

The ultimate I have left see pic below has been running at least 10 min/day slow and see the specs on the dial...

I may just give it away to my brother as he could care less

I may reorder my favorite SS with polished ceramic bezel black dial either from puretime with single AR or try once again bbhaven pay a $200 premium in order to have that damn double AR and hope for the best???

I do realize that they all reps are asseembled in primitive unclean places however I cannot believe that a cheap $100 quartz no name watch has better quality control. My Asian clone GMT 2 C costs half those hublots and it has been keeping impressive time to say the least... :rolleyes:

ggggg.jpg

As I said before, I think it's mostly luck if you stumble across an A+ specimen that has no dial flaws whatsoever.

Especially the plain (non-cf) dial with rings around the subdials seems extra bound to be crappy.

I'd try ordering a lite just for the hell of it - if the dial is great and you miss the double AR, just transplant the cases, and voila! :)

Cheers!

Guest hublot1

Thanks donpedro!

I agree with you especially in regards to what you said about the plain black dial as opposed to the CF...

Regards

Edited by hublot1

Why not just keep the watch you have and take it to your local watchsmith? Do you have a skilled watch repair person locally who has no problem working on Chinese replicas? If so, he's not going to charge you very much to remove the movement from the case and clean the dust off the dial. In fact, it will certainly cost far less than buying a whole new watch.

A good local watchsmith is a priceless resource. If you have someone nearby, it's worth your time to bring the watch in and develop a relationship with him.