When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Question

So I joined this forum a few days ago and am trying to figure out the differences in the higher-end movements available. I read through and found interesting The Zigmeister's "Movement Review" but am still left with the question, "What are the best movements and what should I be looking for when chosing a watch?" - this probably isn't an easy question, but us newbies are allowed some flexibility. Thanks for the help

To help with my question I'm providing a list of movements and associated watches found through a couple collecters -all watches I'd consider purchasing. I'd like to know how these rate and if there are other movements that shoudl be considered.

[*]Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement 28800bph

[*]Lemania Manual Working Chronograph movement

[*]Swiss Eta 2836-2 Automatic movement

[*]Swiss Eta 2836-2 Automatic movement 25J, Omega insignia on Rotor, Anti-magnetic cover

[*]Swiss Eta 2836-2 Automatic Modified movement

[*]Swiss Eta 2824-2 Automatic movement

[*]Asian Automatic 21J Power Reserve Movement

I will give you enough info to begin your search for more detailed answers -

The Asian-made 7750 (with the exception of the seconds at 6 version as used in modern Daytona reps), so-called Lemania (these are actually Lemania copies) & Swiss-made (as opposed to the recent Asian-made) ETAs are all good movements, which, with regular (every 5-7 years) professional servicing, should last a lifetime. Beware that the movements that come in rep watches are not serviced & often previously-owned (used), so, if it is a watch you want to keep for a long time, it is best to send it off to a rep-friendly watchmaker for a full overhaul ($100-$150 or higher depending on your geographic area & whether the movement contains worn/defective parts).