When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc clasp question

RLudlowe

I'm not a big Rollie fan, but I've heard a lot of good things about the ceramic GMT II I decided to look into it.

One of the big things I noticed is the engraving on the clasp - it looks like the "Rolex" script has been applied, then rubbed out -

Here are some pics - Gen on right

000fz5pw.jpg000g0k1t.jpg

It's like this in every pic of a IIc rep I can find. There's clearly something there, like a smudge in the shape of the logo.

Now I understand no rep is perfect, but what I don't get is:

1) wouldn't it make more sense just to leave the engraving off, and hope nobody notices?

after all, nobody is going to believe Rolex did a crappy job like that -

2) if you're going to all that trouble to make the bezel right, wouldn't you at least silkscreen the Rollie logo on the clasp?

Funny, I bet you held off posting this topic for a while?

Yeah, I figured one of the "experts" would address it sooner or later, but I haven't seen anything. I even did a site search.

If it's already been covered, somebody send me the link -

The logo on the replicas is laseretched, that's why the logo looks so "bleak", looks way better in real life though. But for sure, if you're a WIS then it's obvious that it should have been a black inked logo there, but he'll bust you on the incorrect hand stack first... It's not really a glareing fault, IMHO. Why they can't do it correctly? Your guess is as good as mine...

PS. It has been covered before, but I don't have the links, sorry.

The worst part about this is the GMT-IIc hasn't really seen an upgrade or newer version to fix some of these easy flaws. Even though it has shown to be one of the better Rolex reps available. Yet the DSSD has about 5 versions! Where's the love for the GMT-IIc?

Perhaps the factory are in cahoots with Rolex to sell more Gen GMT IIc's !!! Its a conspiracy!

No but really, you're right - there should have been a v2 by now fixing that bloody stupid rehaut engraving at least.. I don't understand how the rehaut engraving looks 'scratchy' and accurate on some of the reps and completely, completely wrong on others..

If the Laser etching is deep enough, that is -

That's true... It might be a case of going over it with the paint, then using something like a toothpick soaked in paint remover and removing the surplus paint bit at a time... :o / B)

That's true... It might be a case of going over it with the paint, then using something like a toothpick soaked in paint remover and removing the surplus paint bit at a time... :o / B)

There

Edited by Spirit

...the decal thing is not a bad idea but indeed it would wear off in no time.

Even if we like... protected the decal with some thin layer (or layers) of a transparent coat of - maybe - varnish, it would have to be matte, to be like the GEN clasps...

Also, I don