When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why mod?

mdw4

Extremely new here and to Panerai watches. I've read multiple posts and it seems as though most of you are modding the watches. Why? I couldn't find any good answers using the search function.

Any insight would be appreciated as I'm looking to purchase a 112 or 111 in the near future. Ideally I'd like to get something that is an accurate reproduction and works properly.

Cheers,

M

Extremely new here and to Panerai watches. I've read multiple posts and it seems as though most of you are modding the watches. Why? I couldn't find any good answers using the search function.

Any insight would be appreciated as I'm looking to purchase a 112 or 111 in the near future. Ideally I'd like to get something that is an accurate reproduction and works properly.

Cheers,

M

The replications have gotten extremely better .. but as you evolve in this "hobby" it';s the hunt for genuine parts and the 'attention to detail' that you will crave.. look at Dluddy's franken Pams.. all will be answered..

it's the journey towards building the most accurate timepiece.. not just the end of the journey..

Ubi's franken Rolex Vintage Subs and Daytona's are .. "bar none"... this hobby may cost more than just buying a genuine and putting it on.. these members I mentioned know more about the genuine's than the genuine owners themselves.. both esthetics and movement function..

A~C

Lani

I can give you a easy answer .

Before you really know so much knowledge about your replica , you won't do anything .

After you see so much pictures form the expers here and see the GEN yourself , you will find there're so many different betreen replica and GEN .

And then , the forum can give a lot of infos about how to moded your replica , how can you just leave your replica like that ?

I mod my replica myself , I enjoy the feeling about collecting parts and try to relume ...... .

I live in Taiwan , far away from you gays , and there're not any one will help you mod the replica , so I do it myself .

is there a 'common mods' thread by chance? what are some things people typically do?

from searching around other threads, it seems as though people redo the lume, do something with a pin (?), grind down some screw, and what else?

i've also seen multiple comments on DSN. i found two of his websites/blogs. neither contain a whole lot of information. am i missing how to contact him/purchase from him? what do his watches typically go for? what makes them the 'best'?

i was looking at this watch at watcheden:

http://www.watcheden.com/panerai-luminor-b...-23854-p-1.html

good deal or can i find better elsewhere? was hoping its price meant it was a higher quality unit so i could wear it right out of the box with a new strap. and once i become more comfortable i can mod parts of it here and there later if necessary. what are some tell-tale signs the above posted watch is a rep? how can they be corrected?

again, thanks for all the insight!

sorry to add to this post again. I did receive a response from davidsen. it looks like his watch is roughly $100 more than the watcheden version. what would i gain for spending the extra money? here is a picture he sent me. what are some tell-tale signs this is a fake? from what i've been reading here, the thing that stands out to me is the screw by the winder not being flush. what about the screw holding the hands? should that be the same color as the hands?

DSC_86582-vi.jpg