When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips to re-lume directly on dial (no lume plates or sandwich dials

bkwbkw

Picked up a 5002 w/ working power reserve (therefore, wrong PR window, etc), so IMO it's not worth sending out to The Zigmeister or vac for their professional work since their services cost more than the watch :)

I've done lume backed plates (DSSD) because theyre super simple since all you need to do is remove the lume then drop some lume onto the plate then reaffix. I've also done hands, which took some practice to get the mixture right to stick properly..

But, I've never done a dial like the 5002/5004 or anything that requires freehand painting, so I've got a few questions.

Before painting, do you scrape off the old lume first? If so, I'm not sure if that's possible with my 5002 w/o damaging the dial. To those who've done their 5002/5004's, did you apply lume over the existing markers?

How do you keep the lines perfectly straight? I was considering laying a razor blade on each side so I dont get any 'bleed'. Speaking of bleeding and drips, do you use a more lume heavy mixture like the kind used on the hands?

ANY tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!