When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graphite treatment variation

I had an AP ROO that developped the habit of stoping if inactive always at the same second position so I started to soucre some grahite powder for a litte massage of the geartrain.

I found something interesting: graphite dry lube in a can. It is an extremely fine graphite powder in suspension in a highly volatile liquide (acetone). When applied to metal it dries in seconds and leave a uniform layer of graphite bounded to the metal.

So I sprayed some graphic lube in a glass container and used a paint brush to coat the gear and the plate. When dry it look like the plate has been coated by electroplating or some other indutrial process. Here is what it look like (excuse the sloppy application but my paint brush was to big):

graphitetreatment.jpg

After the treatment I got 40+hrs of power reserve the movement sitting still on my bench.

I used Jig-A-Loo Graphite Extreme found at Canadian Tire. There are other manufacturer and this stuff is also used in bicycle shop as a non messy chain lube and for cables. I also found a similar product using Molybdenum Disulfite instead of graphite.

I always wanted I daytona second at 6. I will get myself one and graphite paint the whole plate and gears.

I used to use a similar product many year back on RC racing cars, model shops might still sell it. It came as a brush on so might be a bit easier. Fantastic product for the right purpose.

I'm a bit concerned about the amount you're got.. it looks like you might get some residue making its way around inside the watch in time.. but thats only a guess. I'll be keen to hear the long term results.

I'm a bit concerned about the amount you're got.. it looks like you might get some residue making its way around inside the watch in time.. but thats only a guess. I'll be keen to hear the long term results.

I don't know if it is the same stuff you used on your RC cars but I guarantee you that there won't be any residue. It is extremely hard to remove if not impossible to remove completely unless you use a solvent. This stuff is designed for extreme pressure and temp (over 1000 deg F). Beside the graphite particules are way smaller than what you would get from crushing graphite powder so I don't see how it could affect the movement.