When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM Deployment

scotty

Why are the spring bars on PAM deployments so flimsy...

I've 3 deployments now that are useless as the spring bars (for the long strap side, under the buckle) have bent and snapped. And at the same time the 2 half tubes used to keep the deployment bar centred, have been lost in the process.......

B******S

Anyone have any spares? The spring bar and the half tubes?

Will pay, but trying to avoid having to buy complete deployments.......unless absolutely necessary, or if I can find them at reasonable prices......

I've tried other spring bars, but the PAM ones are special for the diameter, and bar length from the inner stopper to the outer end.

All help gratefully received..........

Erm...much appreciated....but being of UK origin, my English is pretty good normally. My speed typing may provoke the odd error, but that's bye the bye.

And generally the clasp is referred to as a DEPLOYMENT clasp or buckle. Butterfly type.

Never seen the French term 'Deployent' used in any dealer website, nor any site offering aftermarket product.

Even BOB (in Germany) uses the term DEPLOYMENT - see link below.

http://www.waccex.de/catalog/index.php?cPa...0rg3ubcpdseoh46

And correct - the springbars are not STANDARD (standered- two too many e's there). I think I mentioned that already in the original post hence the reference to the PAM ones being special.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I got several springbars from a watchsmith friend to try to replace what had broken.

He had problems getting the right diameter for where the end pin goes through the buckle wall.

It seems to be a non-standard diameter.

Then again related to the end pins - they have a section on the inside that seems swaged or compressed, so they hold in place on the inside (a little bump effectively). This means that on the pins there's a distance between the end and this bump that's effectively the same as the buckle wall thickness.

To explain better - for the deployment you're looking for the right combination for the spring bar of

* main body diameter - so that the springbar passes through the deployment lever bar with little play

* general overall width - in the compressed state - to fit inside the buckle inner walls

* end pin diameter - to fit into the buckle wall hole

* end pin length from swaged / bump section - so that the pin doesn't stick out of the buckle wall on the outside

All in all - special.

My watchsmith sourced 4 different non standard ones (so harder to locate), and the closest fits overall except the main body diameter is a fraction small (so leaves the deployment bar a little wobbly), but more importantly the end pins after the swage or bump, are too long and portrude outside the buckle walls by about 1mm.

As they're very fine, and it's all fiddly, it's not easy to 'trim' them and leave a flat surface. I tried and screwed up 2 in the process.

Regarding the little half tubes; I tried experimenting with standard lug tubes from straps.

But again - different inner diameter compared to the spring bar body, and again the problem of cutting to length without leaving burrs and so having a decent flat surface after cutting.

Maybe I'm just cack-handed at this..... :p

So what I need are the correct springbars and tubes, OR new complete deployments.........

Oke, I was hopeing I may have a cpl or be able to get them and send 'em over. Sounds like I'm not. Give me a day to try something else other wise the best chance is to order your next piece from one of the big Pam guys. DVN or T4D come to mind and get a few pins sent along with the watch. Both of these guys will proberly have them on hand. The value is just too small to bother a dealer with for just the pins. We'll get the pins somehow, forget having to get new deployents.

Col.

Hi Scotty, not sure if this is of any help, but I was looking for a new deployment and came across some nice unbranded ones on this site stonecreekstraps.com (they advertise on 'risti). They look to be just sterile Panerai deployments, and at $28, the price is pretty reasonable.

I've got one rep deployment, and it's falling apart, so I thought that I might try one of these, on the basis that it might well be better made, and I'm not overly bothered about the lack of name on it. I guess that, potentially, you could scavenge the spare parts that you need from one of these?