When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More Watch Repair in San Francisco

ChipSlap

This is a sequel to: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Watch-Repair-San...ml&p=624026

My UPO crapped out for real sometime later. So I took it into San Francisco with the intent of going back to Mr. Seuss at Downtown Watch Repair. When I got to his door, I read the sign saying that he had taken a long weekend. Consulting my iphone, I saw that there was another independent watch repair shop in the same building on a different floor - Geneva Watch Repair. I took it in there and was upfront about it being a replica. They had it back to me in about 3 weeks after servicing it for $120. He was willing to cut a deal with me and offered to service the UPO and an Invicta I also brought along for $200. I took the UPO only. I've had it back for a couple of months now and it performs just fine.

Next, I had an IWC 3717 A7750 with a couple of issues that I had purchased from another RWG member (issues that were fully disclosed by the seller before the sale). I gave it to them for a full servicing and got it back about 3 weeks later for $240. After getting it home, I realized that the watch would stop if the chrono were on (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 30). I returned it to GWR asking them to address this as well as finding and installing a missing half-pin in the bracelet near the clasp. I just returned from there with the watch. The work was done as warranty work (60 or 90 days is their policy, I forget) and they threw in the pin gratis. My chrono has now been running for almost 2 hours with no apparent problems. I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully there will be no more trouble.

That seems like a lot of $. Maybe because you're in a big city?

I had a watch guy here in Costa Mesa, (Orange County, CA) just clean, lube and service my IWC rep, (manual wind Unitas 6498,) and he only charged me $60.

I gave it to him on Monday, picked it up today, (Friday.) It had stopped working and I thought it was broken. He opened it up and said it was only dirty and dry - Needed servicing.

It may be that I paid too much, which is one of the reasons I posted it here. However, the problem with mine wasn't that it was dirty. It had a problem common to A7750s -- the rotor spun while the crown was being screwed back onto the tube. I do think real estate values have something to do with it also. This place is right next to Union Square, where the rents are very high. I'll likely try Mr. Seuss next time to see what he charges.

That's actually not out of line for the 7750 servicing...assuming they did a complete disassembly, cleaning and proper oiling.

Even for the UPO with a complete ETA 2824 breakdown, that's definitely within the ballpark.

For $60, that's almost guaranteed, they did NOT perform a complete movement breakdown but did what is called a dip and dunk servicing. Comlete breakdown requires removing EVERY freakin' screw, ultrasonic cleaning and oiling with at least 3 different kinds of oils depending on the requirements.

That's actually not out of line for the 7750 servicing...assuming they did a complete disassembly, cleaning and proper oiling.

Even for the UPO with a complete ETA 2824 breakdown, that's definitely within the ballpark.

For $60, that's almost guaranteed, they did NOT perform a complete movement breakdown but did what is called a dip and dunk servicing. Complete breakdown requires removing EVERY freakin' screw, ultrasonic cleaning and oiling with at least 3 different kinds of oils depending on the requirements.

Thanks. I'm going to ask my guy if that's what he did. Not in any kind of accusatory way. The watch was not working and now it is.

But it would be a good thing to know what my $60 bucks bought me.