When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replacing second hand on sub

anics

Hey all

I had 2 sub's. 1 was broken so I have swapped the dials over and and now having real problems getting the second hand back on. It does not seem to want to stay put and keeps falling off. I don't want to push too hard. Is there some trick to this or is it just patience? The hour hand and minuet hand are fine and aligned but the little second hand is being a bugger.

FYI no watch tools just tweezers and toothpicks:)

Help!

Thanks

A

No trick, it sounds like it's the wrong size, either too big, or too small. Hand sizes vary a lot, sometimes by a tenth of a mm... The only way to know for certain is to measure the seconds hand pinion with digital calipers on each movement.

You can also do the opposite, try the hand on the other movement and the other way around, that should identify the problem.

No trick, it sounds like it's the wrong size, either too big, or too small. Hand sizes vary a lot, sometimes by a tenth of a mm... The only way to know for certain is to measure the seconds hand pinion with digital calipers on each movement.

You can also do the opposite, try the hand on the other movement and the other way around, that should identify the problem.

Thanks man, tried both hands on both movements, they just fall off and won't stay put? Very strange. Neither hand fits either watch anymore????

All I have done is swapped the dials over and replaced the hands. Second hands are being swines! I can locate the hole, set the second hand on top, push gently and nada, falls right back off again....

A

Try pushing a little harder on the broken MVT is all I can sugest. Hold the tip of the hand with twezers and use the blunt ent of a Bic biro to press the hand on. If it works on that one, proced to the good 'un.

You did very well to get them off with no more than twezers in the first place!

Col.

Try pushing a little harder on the broken MVT is all I can sugest. Hold the tip of the hand with twezers and use the blunt ent of a Bic biro to press the hand on. If it works on that one, proced to the good 'un.

You did very well to get them off with no more than twezers in the first place!

Col.

Thanks Col

Will give that a go. Gotta head out now will be back in a few hours. I'll let you guys know how I get on.... IF I get on that is:)

A

Just be carefull you don't crush the lume when you hold the hand.

Chances are you may have crushed the hand removing it as they are very delicate. You will have little trouble geting a new one if you have to. If it's a 21J MVT chances are it will (proberly) be a size 17 sec hand you will need.

Col.

Nope.... have tried everything. The hands just will not stay on irrespective of how hard I push and what I use. Am afraid that if I keep trying I will damage something...

Moral of this story is once again.... let someone else fix it!

Bugger:(

A