When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tools ..which ones do I need

tazzman

When having this hobby there is always something you want to improve .. and right now I am ready to take the next step (other than changing straps) :)

So..

Removing crystals (for sending to chiefs for AR):

What do I need?

* Case back removal tool (which one/ones?)

* Crystal press

Regarding the press - would this be ok as a first press ? From Ofrei.. (nice price)

Economy Case Press With 12 Nylon Dies

Some people report good results with this press for closing case backs. Many start with this low cost product and later move up to one of the better closers or crystal presses. This is a strange product that some people love and others hate. Some say it works about 80% of the time, while we have one customer who has high school students change 2,500 batteries a month and he loves this product even if he might have to buy a new press or repair the handle once each year. I say if you can afford a better tool you should buy a better tool.

CRY905.00

$34.95

If anyone have a good list with what a rep collector should have - please list it below ..

Caseback removal tool will ultimately depend on what kind of case back you are working with. Usually, a 3 prong Jaxa style caseback wrench will work with most casebacks, unless you're working with Rolex or similar brand with the serrated teeth.

For the crystal press, have a look at birdman's tools. He should have a pretty good selection at reasonable prices.

If you are looking to press out crystals, you'll also need some tools to remove the movement from the case. I would recommend a small set of watchmaker screw drivers; 1.0mm 1.2mm, 1.4mm, 1.6mm, 2.0mm. I think Horotec makes a good set of screwdrivers; speaking of which, I need to get a new set myself.

Also consider a dust blower for blowing out all the junk on the dial and crystal when it's time to put everything back together, some lint free paper, and some #2 amagnetic tweezers.

That should at least get you started...