When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebel 1911 Discovery Chrono

P_Diddy

Hi,

A question about the rep Ebel 1911 Discovery Chrono specifically and also other rep chronos that use the Asian 7750 movement:

This was taken from Trusty's website Q&A section:

"A11. To avoid damaging the delicate mechanisms of the Valjoux 7750b1 movement you need to follow the instructions listed below to take care of it:

If your Valjoux 7750b1 has DATE function, DO NOT ADJUST the date when your time is between 10pm to 3am.

It will damage the internal gears unknowingly if you do that.

The BEST WAY is to manually adjust the time to 6am and then adjust the DATE after that.

IS THIS TRUE?

Comments???

Thanks for your views

P_Diddy

I have read the post and have another question: "overused" means how often?

I may need to adjust the time at least once a week, as some reps will be running +/- 20 seconds per day and the rep will be +/- 3 minutes a week.

'Cautions adjust the time on these models only if absolutely necessary. The cannon pinion (clutch between the motion works and the crown) is not very good and can and will slip if overused. Symptoms of a cannon pinion slippage is that the watch will apparently loose time when in fact the cannon pinion clutch is slipping, the movement runs on time, but the hands dont indicate the correct time.'

Yes. Read this post:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Mechanical-movem...ser-t77686.html

Go to the knowledge base section. There is a lot of good info there by great people willing to share their experiences. Spend some time reading the posts.

Good luck!

:crazy:

Edited by P_Diddy

I'll leave that answer to the experts. I read the knowledge base before I bought my first watch. I'm not very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the movements though. :bangin: I do know that I adjust the time on mine about once each week and have no issues. I'm pretty careful: no fast hard motions. I also push in the crown lightly and turn counter-clockwise just a bit and then clockwise slowly and carefully to make sure I don't strip anything. I plan to get my movements serviced within a year too, just to make sure. I'm sure one of the experts on this will pick up on this string soon and give some sage advice. They have always helped me.

is 'striping' the thread something that is exclusive to reps or does it apply equally to gens?

I'll leave that answer to the experts. I read the knowledge base before I bought my first watch. I'm not very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the movements tough. :bangin: I do know that I adjust the time on mine about once each week and have no issues. I'm pretty careful though: no fast hard motions. I also push in the crown lightly and turn counter-clockwise just a bit and then clockwise slowly and carefully to make sure I don't strip anything. I plan to get my movements serviced within a year too, just to make sure. I'm sure one of the experts on this will pick up on this string soon and give some sage advice. They have always helped me.
Edited by P_Diddy

I've read a few strings on this. Seems some gens have the issue too. I think it's inevitable, but you can prolong it by being careful and doing the steps I mentioned in the earlier string. Although there are some who have had their reps a long time with no problems.

Sorry, I'm fairly new at this too (5 months) but I spend a lot of time on RWG reading. Sure doesn't make me an expert though.

I have five watches now, and more on my list!!!!

Thanks Lani. I was hoping you would pick this up and help me out! :cowboy:

P_Diddy, this is one person to listen to. Lani has helped me many times. You'll find many treads here with his advice and comments, not to mention GREAT pictures.

Thanks Lani. I was hoping you would pick this up and help me out! :cowboy:

P_Diddy, this is one person to listen to. Lani has helped me many times. You'll find many treads here with his advice and comments, not to mention GREAT pictures.

Hey Steve..

the #1 horologist that we all learn from here is ZM .. his reviews and tutorials cannot be found on any other forum ! Genuine nor Rep.

they cover everything form "self winding" auto movements.. pit falls of....

ZM's reviews cover everything that has to do with the A7750 and most important the "Why's"

Believe me when I say you will be much better for reading them.. :D

If ya don't, you may regret it later ..

A~C

Lani

I think I've read them all, some more that once. Awesome advice. I mentioned the Knowledge Base to P_Diddy in an earlier reply and suggested he spend some time there. Oodles of information.