When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16520 case

RolexSigEp

To all the daytona 16520 experts, especially Ubi, what are the differences in these cases or are there any other places I should be looking at? I'm thinking about a franken and curious on the differences. The case from J&W looks like it comes with a sapphire crystal and the ND doesn't look like it comes with a crystal? Anyway, here are the links, thanks guys for the help!

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/index1.html

http://ndtradingcorp.com/zen/index.php?mai...products_id=204

I've glanced at those, but haven't really had a chance to look at them in great detail. I would concur that the NDT case is without crystal; not a huge deal, as it's really the mid-case and caseback you want. The bezel, crystal, crown and pushers are easily updated to gen anyways....

If you are considering a 16520, I highly recommend checking out some late serial gens; you can pick up a W, T, U, etc for $8k, which is a bit more than building, but you'd have a gen :)

• 2 years later...

I have to say that most of the time, the J&W cases are much better quality than NDT (or other) cases (according to the photos)

Just look at the NDT crown guards... They are fat and wrong IMO.

And I bet Phong can deliver case with gen crystal, crown and tube. Just ask him !

A complete 16520 build with El Primero, gen crown, tube, crystal, dial and hands will cost something like $5k, so... maybe it's a better value to buy a gen ;)

Just my 2 cents...

Prices have changed since the OP made this post. The cost of the franken build has gone up as has the pricing of the used gen.

$5k is on the very, very high end, still. But absolute dollar amount of franken vs gen is still the way to look at it. The gen is going to be $9k to $10k depending on year, seller, condition, etc. So you're still going to be looking at a $5k to almost $6k savings by going the franken route.

On cases, J&W used to have a phenomenal case. I'm not sure he still has it. The last couple examples I've seen were a different model. The NDT case is not worth considering. The best bet right now is try to to push Phong to see if he still has the good case, and cross your fingers that he does. But I think he has started hand modding some of his cases to make them look more like the older one. Probably not want you want to pay the Phong price for...

Oops, I have not seen the 2009 date :bangin:

Why bumping this thread up ? :g:

About Phong cases quality, I have bought a 6265 case 15 days ago, and it's IMO pretty amazing quality, compared to the gen.

I have another 6263 Vietnam case - which is supposed to be top notch -, and it's a little step down.

I cannot post photos now due to a return to the USA (engravings problem), but I will soon :)