When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with 2254.50/SMP black modding project

lwgt

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about the lack of good 2254.50 reps around, so I've decided to "build" my own, but I need a good starting point, thus I'm creating this thread for suggestions of the best 2254.50 out there (the quality of the strap irrelevant - I'm going to wear on a nato strap)

I'm not going to change the movement, just the essential exterior parts to make it more gen like, which would be a gen dial, gen hands, and maybe a crown. Anything else?

After been searching for a good start, these two are, in my eyes, the best to start with (please correct me if I'm wrong):

From trusty:

43fa5bb73087874f19e367d0e23d8bd9.image.750x498.jpg

7986666919f35356b55dd9f90b7cd3b2.image.750x498.jpg

e7b598ae16c47269ddfa25b3ad9c87f2.image.750x498.jpg

Link to the watch

From timeshops.net

1692-3587_sml1.jpg

1692-3587_sml7.jpg

Link to the watch

Which is according to you the best to start with? The one from trust obviously has shorter hands etc. but that doesn't matter...

Also, both claim to have MOVEMENT: Swiss ETA 2824-2 Automatic - is this correct or BS?

How good, accurately wise, can they become if I use the aforementioned gen parts with any of these two watches?

Any opinions?

I'd considering finding an old school case with the correct He placement...there are no good options.

Stan (WBK) sells a decent bond SMP with gen like crown guards that u could switch with some gen parts but it'd need an ETA movement and black bezel.

Perhaps look for a decent black asian SMP to minimize the modding of a couple of parts needed. These tend to have the best crown guards.

ALL the current SMP rep cases are incorrect.

All current rep dials are incorrect.

Only way to begin work on a decent franken 2254.50 is to start with a good case with correct HE valve placement.

Good luck on that.

Best bet. Find a used gen 2254 for 1500.00. If your lucky.