When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First attempts with DSLR

numptyj

Hi guys took my first few couple of pics today with the new Sony Alpha 230 with 18-55mm lens.

Its the first proper time I have used an slr and wanted to take some nice snaps like I see on here all the time.

I have done auto levels on Photoshop with some of the pics but this thread is for people to comment on the pics whether you like them or whether there is anyway I can improve them :)

p.s yes i forgot to wipe finger prints of bracelet doh :bangin:

orangepo2resize.jpg

orangepo3resize.jpg

orangepo1resize.jpg

Pics look pretty good- However, I would start to work on your lighting :) Better, diffused lighting + DSLR will result in some sharp snaps!

Off to a good start, especially if this is your first attempt with a DSLR!

this was taken with me holding a piece of a4 white paper around the watch and lens whilst taking pictures on shop floor :) with sunlight and fluorescent lights above lol so not perfect :p

fluorescent lighting takes a little getting used to as far as white light settings..

and the only way to improve is by trial and error.. more repititions... :D

but you'll have fun in the process... good luck and I'll be looking forward to your images ... B)

A~C

Lani

I tend to shoot my pics near a window facing the north; out of direct east/west am/pm sunlight, and my window is comprised of glass blocks, so there is some diffusing:

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

Try different environments, lighting, etc. You'll soon find something that works well and yields good results... Just a matter of trial and error...

Guest ThePhilosopher

I agree lighting under florescent lights can be ugly to deal with, especially when mixed with sunlight or incandescent lights. That situation will give you mixed color casts (White Balance) that are all over your subject (due to the nature of shooting a watch). I might recommend learning to shoot in manual - so as to ensure the utmost level of control over your camera and consequently your results.

I shot this one on a white piece of 24"x36" with a single strobe (studio flash) and a silver reflector. If you have any questions feel free to ask (refresh if it does not load the image, I'm working on my server ATM):

Tag_GC_0009.jpg

Edited by ThePhilosopher