When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap ends too thick for lugs on my 44mm case

Drulee

I had a custom strap made by a member of RG; as the site is down, I've been unable to contact him yet. The thing is, the ends of the strap (that attach to the lugs) are too thick and the strap won't fit onto the case.

What is the best way to reduce the thickness of the ends, without destroying the strap?

Thanks

If they are too wide, you can trim the ends. As I told another member who asked the same question before, without opening up the strap and trimming the ends, there is not much you can do. One option is to get a pot of boiling water and quickly dip the end of the strap into the water. It will shrink the leather significantly, which might or might not have a good result. It also hardens the leather a bit which may or may not be desirable.

Many strap makers do not take the time to thin the leather that attaches to the case. It takes more skill and time to do but will guarantee a better fit. This was apparently not done for your strap if it is too thick and not too wide. One possibililty is to remake the strap by unstitching, trimming the end and restitching, but it takes quite a bit of work and there is no guarantee it will look the same as what you have. If you post a picture, I can help more......

I had a custom strap made by a member of RG; as the site is down, I've been unable to contact him yet. The thing is, the ends of the strap (that attach to the lugs) are too thick and the strap won't fit onto the case.

What is the best way to reduce the thickness of the ends, without destroying the strap?

Thanks

The only option is to give up and send it to me.. :p

Is too wide or too thick? I haven't seen a strap too thick to fit a 44mm Panerai.

Too thick, the lug holes won't line up with the strap hole. I just had a thought (does happen occasionally), there may be tubes in the holes that I can remove, giving me more leeway. I'll check.

If they are too wide, you can trim the ends. As I told another member who asked the same question before, without opening up the strap and trimming the ends, there is not much you can do. One option is to get a pot of boiling water and quickly dip the end of the strap into the water. It will shrink the leather significantly, which might or might not have a good result. It also hardens the leather a bit which may or may not be desirable.

Many strap makers do not take the time to thin the leather that attaches to the case. It takes more skill and time to do but will guarantee a better fit. This was apparently not done for your strap if it is too thick and not too wide. One possibililty is to remake the strap by unstitching, trimming the end and restitching, but it takes quite a bit of work and there is no guarantee it will look the same as what you have. If you post a picture, I can help more......

Not too wide, too thick at the ends. Definitely don't want to get into unstitching it.

By the way, I definitely think your case back opener was great buy. Good to see you've got it on eBay now - it's a great deal for anyone looking for an easy way to open their cases. Speaking of which, before I got your opener, I opened up and closed a case with a cheaper opener and destroyed the gasket. Do you know what the standard gasket size used is?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments! I dont know what the gasket size is, but may have an extra from a destroyed case.

I know the "ball" works, but folks dont realize that too much pressure on those display backs can wreak havoc. Besides, I have never been able to feel comfortable closing the case for water tightness until I used my tool.

PM me for the gasket.

Not too wide, too thick at the ends. Definitely don't want to get into unstitching it.

By the way, I definitely think your case back opener was great buy. Good to see you've got it on eBay now - it's a great deal for anyone looking for an easy way to open their cases. Speaking of which, before I got your opener, I opened up and closed a case with a cheaper opener and destroyed the gasket. Do you know what the standard gasket size used is?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments! I dont know what the gasket size is, but may have an extra from a destroyed case.

I know the "ball" works, but folks dont realize that too much pressure on those display backs can wreak havoc. Besides, I have never been able to feel comfortable closing the case for water tightness until I used my tool.

PM me for the gasket.

I don't want to sound like a commercial here, or hijack my own topic :), but blackbard's case opener makes opening all the 44mm cases effortless, makes centering and closing the case quite simple, makes it easier to judge how tight you have actually screwed the case closed and acts as a nice post to wrap your Pam around - nice and shiny like your 111 :)

I'm blushing!

:p

I don't want to sound like a commercial here, or hijack my own topic :), but blackbard's case opener makes opening all the 44mm cases effortless, makes centering and closing the case quite simple, makes it easier to judge how tight you have actually screwed the case closed and acts as a nice post to wrap your Pam around - nice and shiny like your 111 :)

The lug ends of the strap are too thick where they have been folded over and not skived to thin the leather.

If you have a thin round file you can file the leather down to fit. It can be laborious work, and once it is thin enough

you may have to tidy the edges.

Just be careful not to cut through the loop!

Edited by bob bean

Good idea. Drulee, be careful as he says, not to file through....

The lug ends of the strap are too thick where they have been folded over and not skived to thin the leather.

If you have a thin round file you can file the leather down to fit. It can be laborious work, and once it is thin enough

you may have to tidy the edges.

Just be careful not to cut through the loop!

Drhulee,

If there are tubes in the strap, and you have taken them out but the strap is still too large / thick due to lack of skivving, give this a try.

CAUTION - REQUIRES COURAGE, SOME GENERAL KNOWLEDGE OF POWER TOOLS AND A DRILL (ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OPTIONAL).

Take the tube out (if there was one in there in the first place), and take a drill bit of similar diameter to the lug hole / tube hole in the end of the strap.

Once you have the drill bit size established, chuck the drill bit firmly, and then place the strap on the drill bit. Hold the drill between your knees (facing away from you), and with one hand, hold the strap by it's end with just enough pressure to keep the strap under control, and with the other hand, slowly energize the drill just enough to create a "bite" with the edges of the drill shaft eating away at the inside of the strap.

Keep the drill as firm and safe as possible, and slowly, with out putting outer pressure on the strap sides, slowly erode the leather from the inside of the strap. But you must not rush, and take itsy bitsy turns until you get the strap where it will fit.

I have done this before, and will work, but it takes a ton of time and a great deal of anxiety. Afterward, just re-coat the edges with some edge dressing, and you should be GTG with a strap fitting on the lugs.

Just make sure the drill bit you are using is no bigger than a tube that would come with the strap, and use the drill on the "tourque" setting, not the "drill" setting (if your drill is so equipped). Otherwise, just go slow.

Good luck, and pm me if you have any other questions.

S/F Marty