When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836 (not 2836.1 or 2836.2) Stem broken

I have an early 2836 movement (this is not a dash one or dash two!) and have broken the stem. The same stem fits the early 2802 and 2824 apparently. Cousins UK show the part as obsolete Does anyone know if I can use the clutch, etc, from a 2836.2 and convert it to use a 2836.2 stem? (I have a horrible feeling the keyless works is different though I haven't stripped it yet). the only apparent difference between the 2836 and 2836.2 stem is the later one has a larger square section. Alternatively does anyone know where I can get one? Ofrei seems to have them but by the time I pay minimum order and shipping rates to UK, I might as well buy a new movement!

As far as i know the stems from 2824 and 2836 (incl. 1.+2.) are identical.

Nope they're not. I have tried to fit a 2836.2 stem physically, then measured the difference on the square section, and there is a difference, then checked the parts listings which show the early model had a different stem to the .1 and .2. I wouldn't be asking otherwise........... :)

The nope was in his workshop and have tried a few gen ETAs.

All the same stems. 2834-2, 2824-2, 2836-2.

a006medium.jpg

After that the nobe was calling his friend. His name is Domi.

He said that the 28xx have all the same stem, without the 2892.

And now...?

The nope was in his workshop and have tried a few gen ETAs.

All the same stems. 2834-2, 2824-2, 2836-2.

a006medium.jpg

After that the nobe was calling his friend. His name is Domi.

He said that the 28xx have all the same stem, without the 2892.

And now...?

"Nope" just means "no", I wasn't calling you a name. I think you're missing the point. Yes the 2824-2, 2836-2 have the same stem. This is not a -1 or a -2 just a plain 2836. I can't understand why you doubt my word, but if you insist on not believing me, look at the stems on Ofrei -

---------------------------------------------------------

Stem Helicoidal for ETA 2802, 2804 and 2836

$3.75

401/731

--------------------------------------------

Stem For 2801-1, 2804-1, 2836-1

If your movement is a dash 1, then this is your stem.

401/843

--------------------------------------------

or the parts listings for the 2836, 2836.1 and 2836.2 on Cousins UK website (www.cousinsuk.com). They show CLEARLY that the original 2836 (and 2802, 2824) had the same stem, which changed when it became 2836.1, 2824.1 etc.

And this is quite apart from the fact that I stated I measured the two stems, they are different.

And before you ask, the main reason I haven't ordered from Ofrei, is it is going to cost me in the region of $50 to get a $3.75 stem to the UK. It would be cheaper to pick up a second hand 2836-2 on ebay.

So indeed...and now?

For anyone interested, I've answered my own question. Yes you can fit a later clutch and winding pinion from the 2836-2 and use the later stem. The keyless works is quite different but the only difference in the clutch and pinion is the hole in the middle.

Another marvellous save by Brightight!!