When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pressure testing in UK

Brandeego

I had the impression that most watchmakers would be able to carry out pressure testing. I can't even find a local watchmaker or repairer who would be able to work on mechanical watches. I have tried myself to swap a movement with disastrous consequences. It's not as easy as it looks.

I would hope that pressure testing would be a little easier to arrange and may have to widen the area to anywhere in the UK.

Have tried Timpsons with varied success.

Certainly my local one can do it, but some of the guys there insist on doing the test to the depth mentioned on the watch. I am almost certain that none of my watches can stand a deep sea dive, and all I want is to swim with it.

That means testing to 3 atm. Simple and can be done on premises.

In some cases I have been refused service all together, and in other cases I have had it done as long as I took responsibility for any problems with the test.

The charge has varied from nothing to

I want is to swim with it.

That means testing to 3 atm.

Really, it should be tested to greater than 3atm - if you are horsing around or smacking your arm against the water, you can generate pressure on the watch far in excess of 3 atm...

watches-water-resistance.gif

Little known fact about Timpsons... ask for a price before getting any work done to anything, then ask them for a better price which they WILL proceed to provide you with. Its all down to the founder and how he would haggle for everything he ever bought and doesn't respect people who pay list price without trying to get some cash off.