When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swimming with DSSD: 2813-2 Movement Needed

thw

I messed up. I went swimming with the crown unscrewed on my DSSD and you can only guess the result. I figure this is a good a time as any to learn how to swap a movement. I'm looking for a 2813-2 or used 2836. Anyone have any suggestions where I can find one? Obviously I'm not looking to spend alot since there is a pretty good chance I may screw this up completely. I would like to give it a try before I just order an entire new watch.

Go over to RepGeek and check AJoeSmith's section. He had lot's of them that were taken out for replacement with 4813s. I think he was selling them for about $15. He might still have some of the high beat 4813s available also.

I saw that one posted. I was hoping to try and pull off something cheap. Haveing never swapped a movement, remove hands - things like that I figure that there is a good likelihood I will trash the movement in the attempt. are the hands interchangeable between a 2813-2 and a 2836-2 or would I need a new set of hands as well?

And why not have it serviced by a watchsmith? AFAIK... water does not dissolve a movement and a professional cleaning, oiling and regulating should do the trick. If you have never swapped a movement yourself (which implies that you don't have the respective tools) , you are likely to ruin even more than you are trying to repair. Bottom line is: invest the money in a professional service rather than a rep replacement engine...

Bingo.

Exactly... I am treating this like a learning experience. As far as tools, I actually inherited them all - my grandfather was a dentist and jewelry maker who used to repair his own watches, even his moonphase Patek! I just haven't undertaken this type of work. Willing, yes. Experienced, hell no. The watch was completely waterlogged when I figured out I had screwed up. There is actually noticeable staining on the movement and the hands are frozen solid. I would rather replace the movement but I'd rather learn (and potentially botch it up) on a cheap movement than a $60 - $80 ETA 2836 or even a high beat 4813. I saw AJoes' article on Repgeek. He makes it look easy, then again it's not his first rodeo. I will probably order another DSSD as I was in love with it - my WM sub just feels small on my wrist. I figure that if the repair works, I'll have two, if not, I'll be a bit wiser.

Edited by thw