When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebay losing ground to IOffer?

chronology1066

Looks like Ebay might be trying to change the rules about reps being sold. Seems they are only doing it because the nasty big companies are forcing them to stamp out this criminal and crying shame from being perpetrated. Or perhaps they are losing money from the amount or rep gear being blocked there and sold openly on Ioffer and the like. You decide. I received this mail as I am sure many of you have. Just thought it might be interesting.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SELL ONLINE

eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything. But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.

Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete

fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers

to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest

possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay.

But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or

reported as potentially counterfeit. The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake. It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.

We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair

trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our

campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.

Regards,

Your eBay Team

http://mail.ebay.co.uk/op/m.do?id=7032f4II...43II1120e02fb37

Or am I just a bit of an old cynic :huh:

How can any company successfully ban anyone from selling genuine merchandise? That will never fly. I do believe the likes of Louis Vuitton, Rolex, Gucci, etc. are so closed minded that they believe if their products are discounted their brand loses value. Plus, most of the high end watch brands prohibit online retailers as do many clothing lines. Gucci and Louis both have online shops where you can buy their products direct at full retail however. I remember an article a while back where Rolex was trying to ban the sale of used watches. They even sued a guy who installed after market parts and sold them as used even though he disclosed the after market parts. These companies should have no right to but into peoples' private business.

How can any company successfully ban anyone from selling genuine merchandise? That will never fly. I do believe the likes of Louis Vuitton, Rolex, Gucci, etc. are so closed minded that they believe if their products are discounted their brand loses value. Plus, most of the high end watch brands prohibit online retailers as do many clothing lines. Gucci and Louis both have online shops where you can buy their products direct at full retail however. I remember an article a while back where Rolex was trying to ban the sale of used watches. They even sued a guy who installed after market parts and sold them as used even though he disclosed the after market parts. These companies should have no right to but into peoples' private business.

I agree with you there.