When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sub Vintages

preacher62

Just wondered if anyone has seen a review of these. Trusty Watch Guy has a line of vintages that are billed as "TOP GRADE VINTAGE ROLEX MODELS" They look really good, for the price, and the specs say that the "case and dial are 1:1, just like original." I sent Andrew an email questioning if they would take gen parts and he said that he wouldn't go so far as to say that. They have Swiss ETA 2836-2 movements and the dials look great. CGs look at little fat and curvy and the bezel insert needs changing. Bracelet pin holes need drilling but other than that, the Red Sub 1680 is not bad.

If there is a review of these then...my apologies, but I haven't seen it.

I have been thinking about buying Chris's MBK case and vintage Singer dial, and building up a 1680 but can't make up my mind whether to do that or just buy a Noob Explorer II (white). Someone take a look and comment.

Mike

Hi Mike,

It sounds to me like you're planning on building a franken by upgrading with gen parts.

If that's the case, I would recommend searching the for-sale section, and try to find an old style MBW for sale. I know they're out there; in fact, I just sold off the last few remaining NOS MBW's I had about a month ago.

Cheers,

JJ

Hi Mike,

It sounds to me like you're planning on building a franken by upgrading with gen parts.

If that's the case, I would recommend searching the for-sale section, and try to find an old style MBW for sale. I know they're out there; in fact, I just sold off the last few remaining NOS MBW's I had about a month ago.

Cheers,

JJ

Franken is exactly right. I would start with the MBK case and Singer dial and go from there. I was thinking about putting a leather strap and forego the whole bracelet thing for now. I have many watches and two rollies. One TT that I rarely wear, so it makes not difference how long it takes. I just think it would be great fun. I'm hooked...hate to admit it. I have modded a noobmariner all that I can. Now must go on to the hard stuff.

Mike