When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look into my box - reps or gens?

chad

Here in NYC I find myself second guessing reps and gens around town even if they are horrible ones sometimes and it got me thinking about what people can really tell on casual encounters.

I know almost every little obsessive fact there is to know about the watches I like and still I have to take a second look at Chinatown junk on the subway.

So here is a shot of my watch box.

I have owned or own gens of 3 watches in this box as well as there reps. Either could be in there. I made sure the IWC power reserve was in the right place to correspond with the rep or it is simply a rep. :)

Picture was taken to simulate a quick look and not an examination. Do not look at them for more than 15 sec or so if you want to play fair.

What do you think guys which are which? Could you call me out on the street or in a restaurant?

post-626-1247064594_thumb.jpg

Guest HaloArchive

Only one I would second guess being gen in the 111 or... whatever that is (not good with the numbers)

The rest I could call as being rep form that distance. In a dark resturant, I couldnt tell.

Theres this thing like auto collectors say, like myself, that there are what are called 30 foot cars and 1foot cars. That means, from 30 feet away the car looks perfect but, as you get closer, more and more flaws are apparent. The 1 foot cars are the perfect showroom shine, Barret-Jackson quality.

Cheers~

H

99.9% of the population wouldn't know the difference between a panerai, AP or IWC if it hit them in the face. Unless you are around other collectors all of these models will go unnoticed. Even a large percentage of avid watch collectors can't tell the difference between a good rep and a gen.

My point is, since most people don't know who Audemars or Panerai are, there is nothing to get called out over. If you have a genuine Rolex on your wrist in NYC, everyone would just assume it is fake.

Of course I know that....

I just was talking about it if I bumped into one of you guys on the street.

99.9% of the population wouldn't know the difference between a panerai, AP or IWC if it hit them in the face. Unless you are around other collectors all of these models will go unnoticed. Even a large percentage of avid watch collectors can't tell the difference between a good rep and a gen.

My point is, since most people don't know who Audemars or Panerai are, there is nothing to get called out over. If you have a genuine Rolex on your wrist in NYC, everyone would just assume it is fake.

Guest HaloArchive
Of course I know that....

I just was talking about it if I bumped into one of you guys on the street.

If you bumped into one of us, we most likely wouldnt care or just say "Nice Watch" :)

H

On the wrist, with your arms moving, varying lighting etc. it's going to be pretty difficult to tell what's on your wrist, especially at a distance. It's one thing to see things in a pic to scrutinize, but out in the real world it's far more difficult to tell with a nice, higher quality rep.