When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What the H*ll! My DSN 240 is falling apart

Drulee

Alright, I'm not really blaming Davidsen, just Asian Q.C. in general. In all fairness, I bought this watch from a third party - not directly from Davidsen - so I don't know what it has been through. Here's what happened:

I have a habit of flicking my wrist a couple of times, just to hear (and sometimes feel) the movement's rotor spinning around. Well this morning when I did it, I got a little shock. A loud scraping sound could be heard coming from inside the case. I took a look at the seconds hand and, as it was still moving, pulled out the crown to stop the movement and hopefully prevent any major damage from happening.

I took the watch off and put it away, planning on inspecting it in more detail upon my return home. Luckily, I had received a new PAM 44mm case opener a few days earlier. This is a great tool, made by blackbard, for "cracking" your cases (he's got them up for sale on eBay, as well). Well, after a few quick turns, I lifted the back off and couldn't believe my eyes - the rotor had fallen apart.

To illustrate just what happened, I found a picture of the 7750 movement in its complete form, and edited it to clarify things.

Here is a picture of what the "unbroken" movement should look like:

ETA7750movement.jpg

Now with the part of the rotor that fell off, in red:

ETA7750brokenparthighlighted.jpg

What the rotor should look like:

eta7750before.jpg

And what it looks like now:

eta7750after.jpg

The inner section of the rotor, which is attached to the winding mechanism, still seems to function - it spins freely when the case is shaken. The outer section (in red on the first pic) has just detached from it. I've removed the outer section from the case and closed it up. The watch is still ticking away now, and keeping time.

So, what I would like to know is, what can I do to fix this? Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just typical Asian workmanship?

Just got the solution to my dilemma on another board. Looks like this happens a lot. I just have to put some epoxy on it and push both parts together securely, leave it to dry for 24 hours, remove any residue and re-fit the rotor. It was suggested, that while it was drying, it would be a good time to grease the bearings and gasket.

Thanks

I probably have a new rotor you can have...

I may just take you up on your offer. I just had a closer look at mine, and it seems to have been damaged during assembly - probably why it managed to work itself apart in the first place.